1. Cape Cod Whale Watching

PHOTO VIA FLICKR

PHOTO VIA FLICKR

You can take a fast ferry from Boston Harbor to Cape Cod. From there, head out and go find the whales! There’s no Moby Dicks out there, I checked.

2. Salem

The witch house in Salem, Massachusetts. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Remember reading “The Crucible” in high school? Boston Harbor Cruises runs a ferry from Boston to Salem. Since Halloween is coming, the entire town is decked out. Tip: A perfect place for an Instagram picture.

3. Foliage Season

The Connecticut River which can be seen from a train to see the foliage in Western Massachusetts. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Winter is coming! Enjoy the season of autumn before it’s too late. Take the Northeast regional to New London, there’s a fall foliage train ride in Essex County. Sit tight in the vintage steam train with a Pumpkin Spice Latte in your hands and enjoy the colorful sights of Connecticut River Valley.

4. Old Sturbridge Village

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

If you are interested in the colonial period of New England, you can’t miss the Old Sturbridge Village. It’s “an 1830s New England Living History Museum,” according to their slogan. Your history professor might be impressed and consider giving you extra credit.

5. Mohawk Trail

Views from the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts. PHOTO VIA CREATIVE COMMONS.

The Mohawk Tail was once a Native American trade route, but now it is a 63-mile touring road across 50,000 acres of state forests, parks and reservations. A perfect place to hike, bike, camp or picnic!