It’s funny when we think to ourselves, “look how we’ve changed over the last year, decade or century; we’ve made so much improvement as an entire human race,” only to see one person screw it up for all of us. That person this time around is none other than Rod Liddle, a writer for “The Sun” (one of the UK’s most widely-read tabloids) who instantly made the news for a short, but outrageously misogynistic column pertaining to actress and humanitarian Emma Watson’s most recent oration on sexual assault while addressing the United Nations General Assembly.

Liddle first tried to discredit Watson’s role as a UN Goodwill Ambassador, asking “What’s that, when it’s at home? I haven’t a clue.” However, the role of a UN Goodwill Ambassador is highly important in the organization’s public relations and outreach fields. Contrary to Liddle’s perception, it’s not a title to be taken lightly, and it’s often a primary focus for these celebrities when between projects. Watson’s specialty is women’s rights, and she has spent countless hours advocating for the UN’s program HeForShe campaign, working for equal trade between genders in developing countries, and speaking on behalf of women’s education.

Liddle also stated that in Watson’s speech, “instead of telling [the assembly] all the rules of quidditch or how to turn someone into a frog, she bored them all rigid with whining, leftie, PC crap,” then questioned why we indulge the views of celebrities who seem to be poorly informed of their own causes. Watson arguably has more credibility in doing so — and at the UN no less. This has been a platform that Watson has worked on for over two years. Add into the mix the fact that she is an Ivy League graduate, has spoken at the UN Assembly several times prior and was influential enough for Malala Yousafzai to identify as a “feminist,” and it is nearly impossible to discredit Emma Watson for being another simple celebrity babbling the same rhetoric.

In summary, this tweet by “Game of Thrones” actress Sophie Turner, in defense of Watson, best explains our feelings towards the sexist author.

With one overlooked column, “The Sun” has destroyed part of its credibility beyond repair. Liddle needs to maintain journalistic ethics and do some research on his subject before writing this sort of defamation. As said before, some celebrities do advocate for causes solely for publicity and to appear politically correct, and this sort of attack (while still overwhelmingly harmful) may have gone unnoticed if it targeted them. Unfortunately for him, he picked the wrong feminist to censor, and justifiably must live with this horrible error.