Green Day fans will have to pay between $60 and $399 to see the band at Boston's House of Blues this October. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER ANIRUDH KOUL.

Green Day fans will have to pay between $60 and $399 to see the band at Boston’s House of Blues this October. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER ANIRUDH KOUL.

Fabulous news: you just got word that your favorite band is releasing a new album soon, which means that they’ll also be touring around the country and hopefully making an appearance in your area.

Then, you find out they’re coming to your town. The day general public tickets go on sale and you’re ready with your laptop, phone or tablet (or all three, for extra luck), as well as your parent’s credit card information and the willingness to drop big money on a ticket that’s only available for a few hours. It’s still so worth it, right? The time of the sale arrives and you refresh the page, only to find out that the website crashed on your device from activity overload.

Over the years, I’ve found that there are only a few prominent scenarios that arise when one wants to buy concert tickets. Here are four situations every fan experiences when getting wrecked by ticket-scalpers:

1. The tickets available on the only semi-reliable websites sell out instantaneously.

Somehow everyone and their mother manages to purchase them within the first half-minute of ticket sales, leaving you to suffer throughout the rest of your days unless you score a sweet deal on a last-minute ticket.

2. There are tickets still available, but only by scalping companies.

Scalping companies are ticket resale companies that buy legitimate tickets and then resell them. The price for these tickets is usually about three times more than the original price. Buying your tickets from resale companies is always an option, but it’s a repulsive game of capitalism, preventing a lot of people from seeing their favorite bands because they can’t afford the ridiculously steep prices.

3. You actually do get a ticket.

A pretty good one at that, for a reasonable price because you’re just unbelievably lucky and the universe loves you.

4. You get a ticket for cheap because the venue is on the smaller side and the band isn’t very well-known.

There was no issue getting tickets in the first place because no one’s ever heard of them. These concerts tend to be the best — there’s usually no pressure to buy incredibly overpriced tickets and there’s a higher possibility that you’ll be able to see your favorites in a more personal setting because they haven’t solidly established a name for themselves yet.

What bothers me most about the process of obtaining concert tickets is the pain of scouring the Earth for a ticket that isn’t being resold by a scalping company. Here’s a specific example to further prove my point.

I’ve been dying to see Green Day in concert since I last saw them in 2013. When I heard about their upcoming release of “Revolution Radio” this October, and the tour dates accompanying it, I was quick to hop onboard and wait for the moment when I could finally snag a ticket. Plot twist: I failed.

The site froze on me and by the time I could attempt to purchase a ticket, I was hit with, “Sorry, no tickets match your search.” The original price on Ticketmaster was $60, but the same ticket was $399 on StubHub.

The next time you’re buying tickets to see your favorite band, use these more reliable ticket websites that I’ve utilized over the years — Ticketmaster, Live Nation and Eventbrite — rather than the common scalping offenders — StubHub, Vivid Seats and Swagg Seats, just to name a few.

For us diehard concertgoers, buying tickets is an endless cycle of stress. In an ideal world, ticket websites aren’t confusing to navigate, and tickets don’t sell out within minutes or seconds of them being released. As for now, we’re all left to suffer through the chaos until we can find a way to overcome the struggle and miraculously score those tickets we so truly deserve.