Disclaimer: This blog is microwave safe

Welcome to upperclassman life! You no longer have to subsist on mac and cheese or mundane dining hall food to fuel your way through the school year. Having powered through my own dorm days, which included a lot of unhappy microwave disasters, I compiled some of the best tried-and-true recipes that will make your tummy happy and keep your taste buds alive (they’re probably dead after a year in the dining hall).

Brush up your breakfast

1. Fried Eggs

Ingredients: Eggs, butter, paper towel, pan

Steps: Butter the pan, add all the eggs you want and cover with a paper towel. Microwave for 15 seconds to start, followed by 10 more seconds, according to your preference. Fried eggs have never tasted more convenient.

2. Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients: Eggs, milk, shredded cheese, salt, pepper, butter

Steps: Butter a mug, add eggs and milk, then beat until even. Heat for 45 seconds or until eggs are set. Add salt, pepper and cheese. Pair your this delight with your morning coffee.

3. Egg White & Cheese Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients: Bagel, egg whites, herb and garlic cheese, tomatoes, avocado, salt

Steps: Toast the bagel for 20 seconds. In a bowl, add egg whites and salt. Heat for one minute and 30 seconds. Smear cheese on the bagel and add tomatoes and avocado. Top off with the cooked egg whites and serve.

Light up your lunch

4. Mushroom Risotto

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Ingredients: Butter, onion, garlic cloves, rice, broth, mushrooms, thyme, Parmesan

Steps: Mix butter and onions in a bowl. Heat for one minute and 30 seconds. Add garlic, rice and broth, then cover with plastic wrap and heat for two minutes. Remove or add more broth if needed. Repeat heating process. Add mushrooms and heat again for two minutes. Add thyme and heat for another two minutes. Top off with parmesan and relish.

5. Chicken Penne Al Fresco

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Ingredients: Garlic cloves, cherry tomatoes, uncooked penne, chicken broth, salt, black pepper, dried basil, mozzarella cheese, diced grilled chicken breast

Steps: Mix tomatoes and garlic, heat for five minutes. Add pasta, broth, salt and black pepper. Microwave for 16 to 18 minutes, stir well. Garnish with basil and cheese. Mix well and your Italian dream awaits you.

6. BLT

Ingredients: Bread, bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, egg, mayonnaise

Steps: Toast the bread for 20 seconds. Cook the bacon for 15 seconds. Pile up the rest of the ingredients and voilà.

Dine-in dinner

7. Pita Pizza

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER JEFFREYW.

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER JEFFREYW.

Ingredients: Pita bread, baby spinach, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, grape tomatoes

Steps: Arrange all of your toppings on the pita bread and heat for one minute or until cheese melts. You’ll never have to call Domino’s again.

8. Egg Fried Rice

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER ALPHA.

PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER ALPHA.

Ingredients: Rice, chopped vegetables, onion, bacon, oil, ketchup, soy sauce

Steps: Mix all of your ingredients in a bowl and cover. Heat for 20 minutes. Rest for five minutes. Your dorm room is now a Thai station.

9. Chicken Curry

Ingredients: Vindaloo curry sauce, coconut milk, green beans, chicken breast, peanuts

Steps: Boil water for 10 minutes and add the green beans. While the beans are cooking, mix the coconut milk into the curry sauce. Stir the chicken breast into the curry mix. Drain the water from the beans when cooked and pour in the curry mix with chicken. Mix in peanuts. Heat the mix for 10 minutes. You’ll never have to order Indian food again.

Dorm-delectable desserts

10. Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients: Flour, butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, egg yolk, chocolate chips, pinch of salt

Steps: Heat the butter in a bowl. Mix in sugar, vanilla and salt. Add egg yolk and mix. Stir in the flour and chocolate chips. Heat for 40 to 60 seconds. Add ice cream for a heavenly experience.

11. Nutella Mug Cake

gif via WORLD KITCHEN.

Ingredients: Self-rising flour, sugar, egg, cocoa powder, Nutella, milk, vegetable oil

Steps: Mix all the dry ingredients in a big mug. Mix in the egg, Nutella, vegetable oil and milk, then stir until lumps disappear. Heat for one minute, rest, then heat again for another 30 seconds. Let it cool and dive in. Make sure to lick the spoon.

12. Cinnamon Roll

Ingredients: Applesauce, vegetable oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, baking powder, salt

Steps: Combine all the ingredients in a mug and mix well. Heat for one minute, rest and heat for another 15 seconds. Your cinnamon surprise is ready!