1. Its a give and take.

Your closet just multiplied, you get to snuggle in each others beds all night and you get to eat each others snacks. All these things are great, but you have to give as much as you receive. It is unrealistic to expect your roommates to share just because youre friends. Try not to expect what you are not willing to give yourself.

2. Arguments are inevitable.

Some will be insignificant, but some may lead to larger disagreements. The trick to handling these situations is to be open and stay away from passive aggressiveness. Dont fear confrontation its the only way to keep small arguments from becoming larger conflicts.

3. Know when to apologize and when to ask permission.

If you accidentally ate your roommate’s bread or flooded the bathroom, apologize. Even if you think your actions were just an accident and dont require any apology, it’s always nice to admit to your mistakes. Also, its polite to ask permission before eating, taking or using your roommates things. Make sure theyre okay with you having people over. You shouldnt assume that just because youre friends, they will be okay with it. Just ask if youre not sure. Its the mature thing to do.

4. Dont be afraid to stick up for yourself.

Confrontation is hard. Its arguably the hardest thing to do. But sometimes, you just have to stick up for yourself. This may cause an argument, but if you are feeling uncomfortable or something is bothering you so much, bring it up and have a conversation about what is working and what’s not. Its alright to keep your friends feelings in mind, but share how youre feeling, too. Again, they are your best friends. Nine out of 10 times theyll understand.

5. Know when you need to take time for yourself and dont feel afraid to separate yourself.

Spending the night alone in your room is perfectly OK. There are going to be nights when your roommates want to go out and you dont. There are going to be nights when you want to go out and your roommates dont. Its okay to do things alone and its okay to stay back when you need to.

6. Its OK to set boundaries.

If you dont want your roommate sitting on your bed, let them know. They are not mind readers and may think you wont mind. Just to be sure, tell them. Its OK to not want your roommate eating your avocado, even if youve shared avocados in the past. Again, just tell them. Its a fair way to expect them to respect your stuff and avoid awkward situations.

7. Your biggest support system is living just a few steps away.

Having your best friends near all the time also means that you never have to face something alone. You always have constant support around you and they are there to help you just as much as you are there to help them. If you need a hug, a pep talk or a really good cry, your friends are close and will know how to help.  

8. Take advantage of the situation.

You may not get the chance to live with your closest friends ever again, so savor every last minute.