What is that in the sky? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s just a drone nearing awfully close to a plane.

I may have jokingly recreated a Superman quote, but the concept is unfortunately all too prevalent. Recently, there have been far too many cases in which drones have almost caused destruction to planes in the sky.

A drone flying near London's Heathrow airport Sunday hit a passenger plane attempting to land. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY.

A drone flying near London’s Heathrow airport Sunday hit a passenger plane attempting to land. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY.

Although it seems like drones are the newest fun and trendy gadgets that the general public can purchase, they can pose many risks. CNN reported that drones can result in damage if they get sucked into an engine or if they crash into the cockpit, and it can be deadly for the crew.

According to CNN, a British Airways flight had what was believed to be a drone hit the airplane as it was approaching London’s Heathrow Airport on Sunday.

CNN stated that the airplane landed safely and none of the passengers and crewmembers were hurt, but the drone could have done a lot of damage to the plane. In my opinion, people should be more informed of the dangers of using such drones.

Also, people should be more informed of the many regulations that are in place for drones. There are rules that citizens should be abiding by. If people are not informed, it may be hard to assure safe usage of drones.

CNN reported that Britain no longer allows drones in royal parks due to a fear of terrorist attacks. Another rule, according to CNN, is to make sure that the person who is using the drone is able to see it. I believe this rule is set in place because if the operator is unable to see their device, it could wind up causing a lot of damage by hurting something or someone.

As the United Kingdom’s Civil Aviation Authority stated, “It is totally unacceptable to fly drones close to airports, and anyone flouting the rules can face severe penalties including imprisonment.”

I personally see no reason as to why somebody would think it would be fine to fly a drone near an airport. You can have fun with them elsewhere, but it is far too dangerous to do so in an area where it would be easy for tons of people to get injured.

As these devices grow increasingly popular, we need to make sure the people who are using them become aware of the dangers and risks involved. They should also understand the laws that go along with drones. The safety of yourself and others is very important, so you should be sure to check up on the regulations of using such a device.

If you do own an unmanned aerial drone, be mindful of where you use it and make sure you keep in mind the risks that go along with using one.