Kids impress me every day. You never know how they are going to surprise you, either by the words that come out of their mouths or the robots they build out of a box. Either way, it is extremely heartwarming to watch a child impress you beyond anything you initially thought they could do.

Girl Scouts from Oklahoma visited the White House for the second time for the White House Science Fair. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER THE US ARMY.

In 2015, six-year-old Girl Scouts from Tulsa, Oklahoma dressed with superhero capes got the chance to meet President Barack Obama at the White House Science Fair. They built a Lego machine that turned pages in books to help those who suffer from arthritis or paralysis.

These girls returned to the White House Wednesday to meet Obama and Bill Nye, “The Science Guy.” The girls are just six years old, but they were escorted around by Obama’s senior advisors.

How special is an opportunity like that? The Girl Scouts are helping build the next generation of creative and innovative thinkers, and they are giving these girls a voice and an opportunity to showcase their talents.

There are so many ways in which girls, especially those at the ripe age of six, are told “no.” The media scorches their self-esteem. Their opportunity to show off their own successes is limited. Organizations like the Girl Scouts of America and the White House Science Fair, however, are empowering these girls, which is something they deserve to experience more often.

This is the superhero story we have all been waiting to hear. Smart girls are able to share their knowledge with a generation of leaders and innovators, which will boost their confidence in sparking the next generation.

Not only are these girls receiving recognition for their invention and praise for their accomplishments, but they are also receiving the necessary support to continue on their path of success. It is so important that we support the younger generation and remind them that hard work combined with passion can lead to great things.

The White House Science Fair is just one example of an opportunity for young students that should occur more frequently. If six year olds are out there building prototypes out of Legos, why aren’t there more opportunities for them to show it off?

Yes, the media coverage at the White House is a little more extensive than a middle school newspaper, but this event stands as reminder to provide opportunities to let kids shine.

The “Super Girls” stand for all the young, smart and super kids out there who are just waiting for an outlet to share their knowledge. Students who have taken an interest in science are impressing Obama with Legos, so let that continue. And let us help in the process.