It is April, and when you walk out onto the streets of Boston, instead of finding sun, you could be unexpectedly greeted with snow banks. There were people, myself included, basking in the sun on the BU Beach just last week. The snow began to fall this weekend, and it was snowing nonstop. These obscure weather patterns can most likely be attributed to global warming.

A recent study shows that Antarctic ice sheets are melting which will cause detrimental effects to the rest of the planet if it continues to happen. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA

Other events outside of Boston’s winter weather can be linked to global warming as well. New research shows that the West Antarctic Ice Sheet could melt quickly due to the effects of global warming.

According to a recent study published Friday in the journal Nature, the sea level has risen six to nine meters higher than the Last Interglacial, which took place 130,000 to 115,000 years ago. The sea level also may be higher than it was during the Pliocene epoch, which was about three million years ago.

This is dangerous because, as the journal stated, Antarctica has the power to contribute to more than a meter of sea level rise by the year 2100 and more than 15 meters by 2500 if emissions persist.

There are a lot of long-term effects that could result from the occurrences that are taking place in the Antarctic. As The New York Times reported, a long-term effect could be that the world’s coastlines could be drowned, eventually including major cities like New York, Miami, New Orleans, London, Venice and Hong Kong.

Let’s all start making small changes and spread our ways to others so we can start bettering our world. We should be making changes so that our generation and future generations can live in a place that is being taken care of.

There are certain ways we can improve the situation regarding global warming, according to National Geographic. We can find ways to make sure less energy is produced. For example, we can increase wind and solar power.

In my opinion, I think it is best to inform people of the dangers that could come about. We need to educate everyone on how we can take care of this world for our posterity. What is occurring with global warming definitely needs to receive a lot more attention than it has been getting.

Rethink your habits and see if you can make changes to how you go about your daily life. Contemplate how you maneuver around — try taking a bike to work rather than your car. Instead of wasting food during lunch, only buy the food that you are actually going to eat. You can also invest in energy efficient appliances.

The fluctuation of changes in the weather can be annoying for you and me, but there are ways that we can help the situation. We should take action, which would hopefully set off a chain reaction of responses so that we can help improve the global situation we are all facing. Raise your voice and make yourself heard when speaking about how to prevent global warming.

As a society, we can try our best to help lower the impacts of global warming by making a change. Do not think that you cannot make a change because you are just one person. It is because you are one person that enables you to make a difference in the world.