Presidential Republican hopeful Donald Trump stated his pro-life opinions on abortion Wednesday in an interview with MSNBC host Chris Matthews. But what shocked voters, even conservative voters, was Trump’s comment on crime and punishment in association with abortion. After explaining that he would make abortion illegal as president, Trump declared that women who underwent the procedure should face “some form of punishment.” After sharing this with Matthews, presidential rivals as well as notable anti-abortion groups pounced on Trump, condemning his policy and harsh point of view.

Presidential hopeful Donald Trump in an interview with Chris Matthews claimed that women who have abortions should be punished. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

In a tweet, Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton wrote, “Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse. Horrific and telling. – H.”

Bernie Sanders tweeted, “Your Republican frontrunner, ladies and gentlemen. Shameful.”

After Matthew’s pressed Trump to answer his questions on abortion, Matthews clarified Trump’s answer. In terms of punishment, Matthews asked, “For the woman?” to which Trump replied positively.

After negative remarks tumbled in, the presidential candidate started to backpedal. A few hours after his interview with Matthews, Trump released a statement saying that women who have abortions are victims and the doctors who perform these procedures are the perpetrators.

“The woman is a victim in this case as is the life in her womb. My position has not changed — like Ronald Reagan, I am pro-life with exceptions,” Trump said in a statement.

During a news conference in January, Trump announced, “Everybody knows my views, and I think my views are very plain.” But are they? As you probably know, Trump is known for revising his opinions and spinning his words to fit a given situation or a particular demographic. A few years ago, Trump even stated his support for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. His changing abortion comments are nothing new in his run for presidency. What is new is his attempt to fix what has been said. With his recent comments on abortion, Trump’s shock value-rich campaign method isn’t bringing in more support.

March for Life called Trump’s words “completely out of touch with the pro-life movement.” Jeanne Marcini, March for Life’s president of education and defense fund, said Trump was “against the very nature of what we are about.” The National Right to Life Committee, another pro-life group, said in a statement that it would never support punishment for women who choose to have an abortion.

Abortion is only a small piece of Trump’s reign on women, which also includes his comments on the looks of Megyn Kelly and former GOP opponent Carly Fiorina. Scrutiny continued with Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski this week after he was charged with battery for grabbing a female reporter’s arm at a Florida conference in early March.

If all this doesn’t scream immature, childish and uneducated, then I don’t know what does. I am not afraid of writing negatively about any presidential candidate. My hope is that this information will not be overlooked. It will not be brushed aside into the large bin that holds other bits and pieces of past Trump news. The time to start learning about candidates and making comprehensive decisions has not passed. It is always relevant. Be an educated voter. Don’t jump on the “idk not Trump though” bandwagon. Do your civic duty and fight for the millennial generation.