Momentum is the quantity of motion of a moving body, measured as a product of its mass and velocity. “Momentum” is the key word of the status of Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign, which is one for the textbooks.

Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders sweeped the caucus races this weekend in Alaska, Washington and Hawaii. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders swept the caucus races this weekend in Alaska, Washington and Hawaii. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Overcoming the odds, Sanders swept all three Democratic caucuses Saturday in Alaska, Washington and Hawaii. During a rally that Saturday, Bernie highlighted the hope in his campaign, proclaiming, “Don’t let anybody tell you we can’t win the nomination or win the general election — we’re going to do both of those things.”

Despite the sweep, however, the Vermont senator still trails frontrunner Hillary Clinton in delegate count by around 700, according to Bloomberg Politics. The controversy of super delegates and their legitimacy is a hot topic on the Democratic side, and for good reason.

This election’s most profound aspect is the resounding cry of anti-establishment sentiment from both parties. Donald Trump is the media-consuming form, of course, but there are feelings from the left as well. Sanders’ supporters demonstrate less violence and intolerant rhetoric, but hope for a renewed political system all the same.

The states are speaking, and many have said that Bernie is their man. He continues to raise an astounding amount of money from citizens across the United States.

I received an email Thursday highlighting the number of contributions in March alone. Approximately 1.6 million people contributed money to Bernie’s campaign in one month, with a total of around $42 million raised.

The email included a statement from campaign manager Jeff Weaver: “When we started this campaign, no one gave us a chance in the world. They said our ideas were ‘radical,’ that we were a ‘fringe’ campaign not to be taken seriously. They said there was no way we’d be able to compete with the millionaires and billionaires lined up to fund Hillary Clinton’s campaign.”

Not only are the donations rolling in, but the youth is speaking out for Bernie fearlessly, which is so important in today’s world of social media. What is so disappointing about this particular election is the disregard, however, for young people’s views regarding super delegates not being held to any requirement to follow a majority.

Many critics of the Sanders camp like to pursue the idea that he can only win states with largely white populations, but this just isn’t correct. This is just another generalization by the media in an effort to stamp on the supporters in some faux-liberal way.

NPR highlighted what people of color think of being told that Bernie supporters are primarily white. Leslie Lee III, a writer currently living abroad in Japan, used the hashtag #BernieMadeMeWhite, which ironically poses a dilemma.

“There’s always been these articles about how Bernie supporters are basically only white,” Lee told NPR. “ … Me, myself, and many other POC, people of color, who support Bernie Sanders, feel like we don’t get to be a part of the conversation. We get ignored.”

The blatant disregard for the voices that really matter in the conversation of who our next president will be somehow make Clinton, a white woman herself, look like the savior of all people of color. This is the worst kind of privilege that the white media can model.

This race for the nomination is not over. The Wisconsin primary is coming up Tuesday, another chance for Bernie to catch up in the delegate count. People say it’s a long shot, and people say the math shows how statistically impossible it is for Bernie to pull out a win for the nomination. But no math can show the sheer vigor and passion that he promotes and brings out in his supporters.

It’s not hopeless, but even so, Bernie inspires even more hope at a better future with his campaign. Instead of spewing hate and promoting violence against protestors, Bernie promotes conversation and debate on how to make Americans’ futures bright again. Discounting his impact on this election by falsely generalizing who he speaks for is insulting to not only him, but also to all those working Americans who stand by him. It’s time to review the ways in which the media depicts any candidate who doesn’t play by their corporate rules.