During the winter 2015 season, the fashion world displayed a bit of bedroom behavior as it sent hazy-eyed models down the runway in silk pajamas with loose silhouettes. Fast forward one year, and it’s all varsity blues with letterman jackets and subtle skin with the continued obsession of off-the-shoulder pieces.

Giorgio Armani said bye to fur this season, both a fashion-forward and environmentally conscious decision. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS.

Regardless of the new and old trends that have come and gone, it seems as though one major brand has perhaps showcased the biggest innovation for winter 2016. Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani announced Tuesday that he would no longer use fur in any of his collections.

“I am pleased to announce that the Armani Group has made a firm commitment to abolish the use of animal fur in its collections,” Armani said in a statement published in Vogue.

Armani founded Giorgio Armani S.p.A. with his friend and business partner Sergio Galeotti in 1975. The company launched a men’s line for its first collection, followed by a women’s collection the next year, which was received with warm accolade. The brand gained popularity in the United States after Richard Gere wore Armani in the 1980 film “American Gigolo.”

During the 1980s, Armani’s “power suits” were in high demand. The tailoring and clean lines became a status symbol, especially among high-powered business professionals.

The increasing media outcry brands are receiving for their use of animal fur and allegedly inhumane methods is necessitating a switch to more sustainable alternatives.

“Technological progress made over the years allows us to have valid alternatives at our disposition that render the use of cruel practices unnecessary as regards animals,” Armani said in the statement.

On how the brand has been “pursuing the positive process undertaken long ago,” Armani stated that the brand “is now taking a major step ahead, reflecting our attention to the critical issues of protecting and caring for the environment and animals.”

Armani is working with the Fur Free Alliance, an international coalition comprised of more than 40 animal protection organizations. At its core, the alliance — along with the many organizations it is partnered with — is working toward ending the killing and exploitation of animals for the sake of fashion.

The brand has committed to the new policy for its Giorgio Armani, Armani Prive and Emporio Armani collections. FFA chairman Joh Vinding expressed his support in the Vogue article.

“Armani’s fur-free announcement makes it clear that designers and consumers can have creative freedom and luxury all without supporting animal cruelty,” he said. “Mr. Armani has been a trendsetter in the fashion world for decades and this latest announcement is proof that compassion and innovation are the future of fashion.”

Trends come and go. The new look last year was the fuzzy neon cardigan stuffed in the back of your closet — dusty and dated. The nature of fashion is cyclical, and neither a fashion designer nor fashion savant can ever truly anticipate whether a piece will be timeless or if it will become another flame that fizzles out once the season is over. However, it seems as though Armani’s latest announcement will only mark the beginning of new looks and trends that will change fashion forever.