President Barack Obama made an historic visit to Cuba on Sunday. This visit is very prominent, as he is the first U.S. president to step foot on the island since 1959, the BBC reported.

Obama visit to Cuba seen as a major step forward in United States, Cuba relations. PHOTO VIA PIXABAY.

This is a representation of a new era of Cuban-American relations. This visit also signified a major change in U.S. foreign policy. There has been an abundant amount of hostility between the United States and the nation of Cuba, which is what makes this visit such a big step in international relations history.

Obama exclaimed that change is bound to happen in Cuba, BBC reported, and Cuban President Raul Castro agreed.

In my opinion, Obama’s visit has the potential to change the dynamic of Cuban politics, as well as the quality of life for the Cuban people.

Castro and Obama met for a news conference on trade relations between Cuba and the United States. For example, according to BBC News, Obama stated that the trade embargo would be fully lifted in Cuba eventually.

CNN reported that Obama revealed he came to Cuba in order to “bury the last remnant of the Cold War in the Americas.”

“I have come here to extend the hand of friendship to the Cuban people,” Obama said.

In my opinion, this is a significant moment in world history, and I am in adoration that Obama stated that he wants to make change and help out the Cuban people by putting aside the horrors of the past.

A part of Obama’s speech was meant to bring about changes in Cuba with suggestions on how things can improve in their country. I believe that he brought good ideas to the table of how life can be improved for the citizens of Cuba.

As CNN mentioned, Obama noted that there are major differences between the United States and Cuba. However, the communist island could follow our lead and give their citizens more freedom.

CNN quotes Obama’s statement as, “I can’t force you to agree … Every person should be equal under the law … Citizens should be free to speak their mind without fear.” This is a statement that I completely agree with. There should be full freedom of speech everywhere.

In his address, Obama also discussed how citizens should have access to their government and a right to change and protest their government if they believe there is a problem with it.

“I believe those human rights are universal,” Obama said. “I believe they are the rights of the American people, the Cuban people and people around the world.”

I am in complete agreement with Obama. I believe that there should be more freedom in Cuba and greater equality. In my opinion, Obama brilliantly stated his opinion and suggestions in his speech.

I am excited to see where this takes both the United States and Cuba, and I am beyond relieved to see that change is coming. Obama’s historic visit to Cuba this week is just a start to that eminent change.