“We now present you, Her Majesty Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldi, queen of Genovia.”

Director Garry Marshall made the days of young girls everywhere when he announced that Princess Diaries 3 is in fact in the works. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEIDA COMMONS.

I bet you never thought you would hear that name in theaters again after Princess Mia Thermopolis was officially crowned queen at the end of the movie “The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement.” Well, I guess miracles do happen once in a while when you believe (remember the song?), because according to Entertainment Weekly, director Garry Marshall said that “Princess Diaries 3” is, in fact, going to happen. Cue the applause.

“The Princess Diaries” came out in 2001 and its sequel came out in 2004, and they have, without a doubt, been some of my all-time favorites. For those of you who do not know, the series is about the life of gawky and less-than-cool California resident Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) who, on her 16th birthday, is suddenly told by her grandmother, Queen Clarisse of Genovia (Julie Andrews), that she is the princess of Genovia. The movies show Mia’s transition as she grows to inherit the throne, all the while growing up to be a more confident, wise person and maintaining her quirks that make her who she is.

I feel as though I, along with everyone else from my generation, grew up with Mia Thermopolis. When the movies first came out, she epitomized my fairytale life that I would live vicariously through, letting my imagination run wild. As I hit my teen angst years, she served as a light at the end of the tunnel for me — a reassurance that perhaps I too would grow out of my awkward brace-face self and into a more confident, sophisticated woman. Now that I am 20 years old, she serves as a character to whom I can definitely relate, someone who is by no means perfect but always listens to her heart and tries her best in everything she does.

Looking back on the movies, Mia really is a great role model. She teaches that you cannot run away from your problems, but rather, you must deal with the cards you have been dealt. She highlights the importance of modesty, sincerity and philanthropy. She demonstrates how valuable family and close friends are, as well as the importance of community. She reminds us all that even when times are stressful, it is absolutely vital to have some fun. Above all, she teaches girls in particular to embrace themselves for who they are, promoting true self-happiness and self-assurance.

Needless to say, I cannot wait for “Princess Diaries 3” to come out, even if it is a ways away. Where will the tales of Mia Thermopolis take us next? How has the throne of Genovia been treating her so far? Did she ever marry Nicholas Devereaux? Are Queen Clarisse and Joe still happily married, and what has happened to Lilly Moscovitz? Of course, we cannot forget Fat Louie, Mia’s cat, nor help but wonder how he is doing too. It is questions like those that I imagine have been filling the heads and hearts of many “Princess Diaries” fans for over a decade now, and I hope that “Princess Diaries 3” will live up to expectations.

What am I saying? Of course it will.