The media is not the first place one should look if they are searching for an accurate portrayal of society. This has been a hot topic for as long as I can remember. Even more so, the media has never done a good job at accurately representing women and girls. This gives us consumers of such media false perceptions of body image, peer relationships and how we should view ourselves.

Heathers, the 1988 cult classic movie, is coming to television in a reboot. PHOTO COURTESY MONE8.

Following recent trends, “Heathers,” the cult classic film, is becoming a TV reboot. The series is set to air on TV Land and will be an anthology series. Most recent TV reboots have either been a prequel or sequel to the movie on which it is based. The “Heathers” TV series, however, is set to be a completely re-imagined plot line, but the themes of the beloved movie will remain the same.

The film dealt with tough concepts and themes such as cliques, outcasts and typical high-school social pressures. There is no denying that the film over-dramatized these themes, but the themes of “Heathers” are all very real and still remain relevant today.

With all new characters, the original outcasts of the film will now take on the role of the bullies instead of the “it girls” who originally occupied that role. This could be a detrimental subject matter for some, especially the targeted audience of the series. Aimed mostly at high school students, the topic of bullying could be tough to accurately portray. Unfortunately, the topics set to be explored in the “Heathers” TV series will hit home for viewers. This series could potentially add to the controversial subject of inaccurate representation of children and teens in the media.

A TV series completely revolving around bullying and outcasts could be received either positively or negatively. Since the issues are so relevant to today’s media consumers, if not portrayed accurately or if they are over-dramatized, the series will not see long life on air. TV series survive when the subject matter is relatable, but with the controversial nature of “Heathers,” the opposite might be true.

While it is unclear whether or not the TV adaptation of “Heathers” will include some of the more violent actions of the characters, Andy Swift of TV Line said the characters will be “very different but [will face an] equally vicious group of Heathers.”

These themes explored are even hotter than they were when the film first premiered, and they will be a representation of a reality for too many girls who have experienced cliques and bullying first hand. Essentially, it all comes down to how the TV writers, producers, directors and actors chose to collaborate and decide how they plan on grappling with the subjects they wish to highlight. If done skillfully and correctly, “Heathers” will be as successful in 2016 as it was in 1988.