Seven p.m. on a Tuesday rolls around. You’re tired, still have more than half of the week ahead of you and are hungry for dinner. You check the fridge and see that all you have is a half-eaten cup of soup and the end piece of bread in the otherwise empty bag. You check the pantry. Nothing. You check the fridge for a second time, and, although the soup and slice of bread are looking slightly better, you concur that you need a more filling meal after last night’s cup of ramen.

Google Express is starting a pilot program to deliver fresh groceries in San Francisco and Los Angeles. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER GREGGAVEDON.

After debating what to do for about 15 minutes or so, you finally admit to yourself that your only choices for sustenance are to either go out and get food or order in. You quickly rule out the take-out option, as you are already settled in for the night, but you are not looking to break the bank on delivery either. Therefore, you opt for the simplest solution of all: order a large noodle dish from a local, subpar restaurant that you can split into dinner tonight and tomorrow — two meals in one!

I hate to admit it, but I have had more nights like the previously described one than I can count on my fingers. As a college student living in an off-campus apartment, I am on my own in terms of supplying my meals. I’ll force myself to go grocery shopping, but that only lasts so long, and then I will not feel like going again for a while. As a result, I leave myself to scavenge for food in a nearby convenience store or order a less-than-nutritious meal from a less-than-healthy restaurant that, preferably, has no delivery minimum. But, what if groceries could be delivered right to my doorstep? Enter Google.

Google jumped on the bandwagon Wednesday, joining companies like Amazon in delivering fresh groceries to individual residences. It launched its trial program, Google Express, in Los Angeles and San Francisco and will deliver same-day fresh food. Better yet, Google Express’ delivery service is much cheaper than many other grocery delivery services have been, possibly making healthier food more convenient and available than ever before.

If this company would make its way towards Boston, all my problems would be solved. I enjoy cooking, so when I have groceries, I am very healthy, but it is the actual getting to the grocery store that is the biggest challenge, and I imagine many can agree. Without a car, getting to the store can be a major pain. When the weather outside is just miserable, leaving the house sounds like the worst thing to do. If you have late classes or work long hours, grocery shopping sounds absolutely exhausting. There are many of reasons that a person may avoid going to the grocery store, but if fresh food could be delivered right to you at your beckoning call, the lack of accessibility to better nutrition would be eliminated.

Google’s service, with its reasonable service price and convenient timing, could be revolutionary. If you simply eat meals based on what makes you feel full, it is easy to forget that a fresher, heartier diet is important for reasons that go beyond weight management. In fact, a better diet supplies more energy, evades bad toxins and boosts moods, making it a vital quality in daily life. And what better time than the present to launch a movement for healthier and happier living? If Google Express would expand itself nationwide, then society would begin to take on a healthier lifestyle and, better yet, one for which you don’t even need to leave home.