As I am sure we can all agree on for a multitude of reasons, the Internet is a central part of today’s

Google is providing free and fast internet to low income families in Kansas City as part of their Google Fiber program. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER SHAWN COLLINS.

world. Unfortunately, because it comes at a price, many cannot afford Internet access and are left at a disadvantage. That being said, those who do not have the money for it may now have the opportunity to have free and fast Internet service, thanks to our little friend called Google.

Through its Internet service called Google Fiber, Google, the star of the worldwide web, is stepping up to the plate and is set to provide public and unbelievably fast Internet service to low-income households in Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri.

I know that people often roll their eyes or sneer in response to society’s overall necessity to have Internet access, but in all honesty, a program like this can make all the difference to a person.

Think about it: the Internet is useful in a wide array of areas. Educationally, you can take courses online, watch videos and do research to gain information. You can find out practically anything by simply typing in a few key words and clicking a button. Can’t remember the capital of a country? No problem, Google is there to help. Want to trace your family tree? Well, the Internet probably has stored information that will link you relatives you have never even heard of.

To me, however, the most important aspect of the Internet is its connectivity and networking opportunities. First of all, it is a top-notch news source that is sure to keep its readers updated on all things occurring throughout the world.

Professionally, a person can network with coworkers, send out job applications and even build a business right from his or her computer screen via the Internet. Socially and more personally, a person can use the Internet to keep in touch with, or keep tabs on, friends and family throughout the world. Things like video chatting, email and photo streaming, all of which function through the Internet, bring people closer together no matter the distance between them, which is something that is truly priceless.

And so, it is safe to say that the inability to have Internet access these days can definitely be a disadvantage. It eliminates a major tool for gaining information and staying connected with the world. Luckily, with Google working to provide Internet access to more people, perhaps one day everyone will have equal opportunities via the Internet that would otherwise be impossible. Aside from its service’s free cost, though, Google’s latest push for speed is not to be overlooked. By guaranteeing quicker responses, less buffering time and faster connections, the one gigabit-per-second speed marks a new standard of Internet providers, and that supports the progression in the spread of Internet service. I tip my hat to you, Google, and look forward to the positive results your initiative is bound to bring.