Over the past few years, gun laws have become an incredibly sensitive subject. Far too many incidents have occurred that have scared people and made individuals question how guns should be used, who should be allowed to own them and in what setting they are acceptable.

Guns are increasingly becoming a fashion accessory for women. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

I personally feel that the gun topic is a very scary one. I find them to be so destructive, and I cannot understand the attraction to owning a gun. While I recognize that individuals might feel safer owning a firearm, on a day-to-day basis, I do not find them necessary. I think peaceful and mature interaction is the way to solve issues, and the use of guns does not help this cause by any means. Of course, guns will continue to be around for a very long time, and with the rapid growth of our technology industry, I am certain guns will become even more high-tech, but I think the reassessment of gun laws and consideration for how destructive guns can be are absolutely crucial.

In Dallas, a store called Ray’s Sporting Goods is the home of all things related to firearms. The store offers a variety of guns from large to small, and the array of weapons has recently attracted more women, store manager Chuck Payne, told NPR. For most women shopping at this store, they feel they need to buy their own gun because when their husbands are at work they feel unprotected and want their own weapon. When women purchase their own gun, gun accessories are also available to them. They can buy purses with hidden pockets, bright pink toolkits equipped with all kinds of screws to fix any gun issue that may arise, special expensive loaders that protect a woman’s manicure and many more items you could not imagine ever being invented, let alone sold in a store.

Carrie Lightfoot, CEO of the Arizona-based online store The Well-Armed Woman, told NPR she feels that women’s body shape and size are important to consider when it comes to hiding their guns. Lightfoot said that most concealed or open carriers are only made for men, and that women need their own that fit their shape. The store also sells bra holsters, concealment leggings, lace waistbands and leopard-print gun holders for cars.

The issue I find with this initiative is the encouragement to buy guns because of how they can be perceived in a fashionable way. With these new garments, women can walk around feeling good and looking good all while secretly having a gun attached to their person.

The worst part about this trend is that it is almost encouraging women to purchase their own gun just so they can accessorize it like it is some kind of innocent toy. This is, however, a very serious matter, and although women should have just as many rights as men, the encouragement to purchase weapons just because stylish gun cases are being manufactured to accompany the gun is not a valid reason for purchasing one. More so, it is hard for me to even comprehend in general why the use of a gun in everyday life is necessary at all.