It is the year of the presidential election and abortion is a hot topics polarizing our country into “Pro-Choice” and “Pro-Life” categories. It is highly debated, highly publicized and argued in almost every political debate. Planned Parenthood, a lead provider of not only abortions but also women’s reproductive services, is being defunded and abortion clinics in some states are being shut down altogether. The fight for a woman’s right to make her own decisions about her body is becoming bigger and more difficult.

Celebrities, however, are attempting to help with the fight by taking a public stand. A new video

Celebrities stand up for abortions in the new Draw the Line campaign. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER FIBONACCI BLUE

campaign by the Center for Reproductive Rights was released Wednesday. In the “Draw the Line Monologues,” celebrities like Elizabeth Banks, Bellamy Young and Dascha Polanco are among many others who share stories submitted by real women about their abortions.

Elizabeth Banks tells the story of a girl named Rebecca, who had an abusive partner and got an abortion after leaving him. Bellamy Young tells the story of a girl who has epilepsy. In her story, an unplanned pregnancy would put her health and the baby’s at risk. Finally, Dascha Polanco tells the story of a young girl who just wasn’t ready to be a mother and couldn’t raise the child with “the attention and care that they deserved.”

What is so amazing about this PSA is that it’s completely raw and real. The “Draw the Line Monologues” is an attempt to negate the stereotypes associated with abortions, which include negligence or irresponsibility. There are so many other reasons that women could or should get abortions, including health reasons as well as environmental reasons.

This video is just a step in talking about real abortion stories and reproductive rights. Celebrities such as Nicki Minaj and Whoopi Goldberg have gone public about having abortions and their reasons for doing so. Nicki Minaj told Rolling Stone that she just was not ready, and “didn’t have anything to offer the child.”

It is about time that people spoke out publicly about abortions. While each side has an argument, it is very important that we, as American voters, listen to all sides of the argument. Personally, I have never heard stories like the ones I heard in the “Draw the Line Monologues” PSA. I think a lot of times politicians focus on the negative stories. While I do think there are people out there who would have abortions for reasons unlike the ones heard in the video, there are also those who went through with abortions because of medical complications or fear that they would not bring the baby into a loving environment. It is a hard situation any way you put it. I do not know what I would do if I was in this situation, but I also know that these stories of real women experiencing real, raw problems are very important to hear, no matter what side you are on.