If you’re tired of the same old trail mix and chips, Whole Foods has you covered. On top of its already varied and original stock of organic snacks, the supermarket has just announced its new partnership with Grub — an edible insect company.

Starting in late December, Whole Foods will be selling Grub’s seasoned roasted crickets. These pre-packaged snacks will be available in lime, salt and vinegar and English herbs flavors to fill all of your roasted cricket cravings. That is only the beginning, however, as the brand’s sales in Whole Foods will be expanding all throughout the next year. They will be selling a variety of products including freeze dried counterparts to the roasted cricket snacks, which will be available in stores at the beginning of 2016.

Whole Foods and Grub are working together to popularize roasted crickets in the United States. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA

Whole Foods and Grub are working together to popularize roasted crickets in the United States, planning to sell them at all Whole Foods locations this month. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA

“We are delighted to have secured the first listing with Whole Foods for our Roasted Crickets, which are already proving very popular among customers,” said Shami Radia co-founder of Grub, in an interview with The Daily Mirror.

The edible insect company, which launched in 2013, delivers worldwide, selling everything from granola bars made from cricket flour to edible mealworms and cricket nut fudge. Their website also offers access to free insect recipes of dishes like buffalo worm mac and cheese and chocolate cherry cricket brownies.

As disgusting as eating roasted crickets during your lunch break sounds, the fact is that these insects, along with many others, have been a popular food in other countries for decades. This sustainable source of protein, iron and calcium was referred to by CNN as “the future of food”, and the high demand for them on many websites supports that title.

The edible insect market has grown immensely in the past couple of years, to the point where there are now farms dedicated solely to growing insects to be used as food. Grub plans to open the first cricket-for-food farm in the United Kingdom in 2016. Along with the release of their insect cookbook, which will be on sale in April, the company has grown significantly in just a couple of years.

Their listing with Whole Foods will be their first direct sale in the United States, yet I am sure once the initial hesitation of eating insects wears off there will be more. The edible insect industry has already become such a big success in European and Asian countries that it will not be long until the edible insect craze becomes the new “thing” in the United States as well.

“We just need to embrace them for the tasty and sustainable source of protein they are,” Radia said.

Honestly, we are no strangers to eating strange things: cow tongues are a popular taco meat and Kourtney Kardashian even ate her own placenta. The fact of the matter is that once people start eating these insects (which they will because who doesn’t buy weird things at Whole Foods) it will become the norm. Soon enough you’ll be seeing roasted crickets in vending machines and being sold as movie theater snacks, so get your adventurous taste buds ready.