Looking to take a little vacation? Well, look no further. Getaway is a startup company that can help you do just that — literally. Make way, everyone, your smallest vacation is coming through.

Getaway, a start up company based in Cambridge, offers guests a chance to rent a tiny house in rural areas outside Boston. PHOTO VIA WIKIPEDIA

If you’ve never heard of the tiny house movement, it is a growing trend in which people say goodbye to their average homes and turn towards a simpler way of life by living in a small house. And when I say “small,” I mean extremely small. They are usually less than 400 square feet. To put it to scale, an average home in the United States is nearly 2,600 square feet. I mean, talk about downsizing! The whole tiny home might be twice the size of a typical bedroom, or smaller, yet still managing to include at least one bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom and a living room by making use of every nook and cranny. I imagine that constructing these homes is almost like a game of Tetris: the goal is to fit everything together as compactly as possible in order to use as little space as possible.

This kind of lifestyle is by no means for everybody, but Getaway offers an option for people to get a small taste of the tiny house takeover. For about $99 a night, you can rent one of Getaway’s three 160-square-foot homes, all of which are within two hours of Boston. This kind of vacation truly embraces the idea of escaping from society, “unplugging” and relaxing in nature. In emphasizing this unplugged aspect of a tiny home rental, Getaway does not reveal the exact location of their tiny home to its tenants until 24 hours before they move in.

Getaway is not the first renter of tiny homes, and I expect more to develop. A tiny home gives its tenants a modest experience, something that seems to be overlooked in today’s world. When we think of “vacation,” we often picture extravagant beach paradises or exhilarating ski trips. There is nothing wrong with either of those two experiences, but perhaps it’s time to add an option of simplicity into the mix to ensure peaceful, quiet, isolated relaxation.

With that said, there’s also something so mentally therapeutic about the whole tiny home experience. With today’s technology, people are constantly staring at screens and in communication with the media, allowing external sources to dominate their thoughts. A tiny home getaway, however, pushes its tenants to have time to themselves, away from the hustling and bustling world surrounding them. It encourages time for well-needed meditation and self-reflection, as well as easy-going bonding time for those vacationing together. It seems to eliminate the element of stress, which, let’s be honest, is the result of practically every vacation.

I would honestly love to spend a couple nights in one of Getaway’s tiny homes. As much as I love traveling, I see that, at least every so often, less truly can be more. The tiny home makes a provocative statement about humanity and the idea of vacationing, and offers a soothing and more healing option. In short, luxury hotels just may be overrated.