Mercedes-Benz is steering itself away from the road and into new territory. The German automobile giant is breaking into the housing market, a revolutionary and unique concept not only for the brand, but also for the industry as a whole.

Mercedes-Benz has opened its first luxury apartments in Kensington, west of London. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Mercedes-Benz has opened its first luxury apartments in the district of Kensington, west of London. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Mercedes-Benz has teamed up with global hospitality operator Frasers Hospitality to put Mercedes’ designs into brick-hard fruition. The two companies have been working together to create six luxury-serviced apartments that will feature Mercedes-Benz’ style. These luxury apartments will be located in the affluent and posh district of Kensington, west of London. Often times, it’s the little details that make two similar things very different. In this case, it’s the nuances that makes Mercedes-Benz, well, a Mercedes. The location perfectly matches the vibe of the brand. As our family’s realtor always used to say: location, location, location.

This project was initiated with the intention of creating short-term rentals for “business travelers and individuals who don’t want to compromise on style and comfort when they are away from home,” said Wilfried Steffen, head of the Business Innovation department at Mercedes parent Daimler, in a release. These luxury residences range in size from 538 to 1,076 square feet and will feature monochromatic color schemes to fit with the company’s understated aesthetic. This home-away-from-home will also include sculptured sofas, Swarovski crystal chandeliers and high-end entertainment systems to cater to those in the high and rather fast life.

The Mercedes-Benz-style apartments in Kensington are only the beginning for a company that has now entered the hospitality market. More Mercedes residences are in the works with Singapore planned to be the next target location. As Steffen noted, “More and more people are permanently on the move. They live and work in unfamiliar cities where they are looking for a ‘home away from home’ and a sense of security. That’s exactly what we want to offer them, and at the very highest level and with the perfection and quality that you’d expect from Mercedes-Benz.”

You can find elements of Mercedes-Benz’ classic car features integrated throughout the residence. Reading lights on either sides of the headboard that mimic vehicle headlights; a smart television that connects to the guests’ vehicle to help map out their trip in the comforts of their own home. Guests will be able to enjoy these amenities for about $600 a night.

Innovation is key for the survival and continued success of any company in a highly competitive industry, such as the automobile industry. Especially the automobile industry. We have gone from simple gasoline-fueled cars to auto-driving, electric machines. But even with all of these incredible advances, to some, these innovations are still “in the box.” Mercedes-Benz broke through the glass ceiling (or should I say glass sunroof?) to tap into a completely new market. An industry convergence, if you will. It will be interesting to see how the luxury car’s sleek and minimalistic designs will translate into living spaces.