Trap music: what your grandpa refers to as the garbage young people listen to. When us “young people” hear the words, we most likely think of EDM or house music, or really anything that’s not sophisticated or classy. The word orchestra, however, carries a different connotation. With its sophisticated demeanor, orchestra music is generally reserved for high school concerts and your parents’ anniversary celebration. In no world would anyone think that these two drastically different types of music could mesh together to form an appealing sound. But think again.

PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

The House of Blues hosted the event, which featured artists who blended orchestral and trap music to create unconventional sounds. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Saturday night, the House of Blues hosted a performance that broke down any traditional barriers of music. The event, called The Takeover, took place in the foundation room, a smaller venue located within the House of Blues. With quilted walls and an intimate feel, three artists performed for their eager crowd.

The first artist, Bron Don, set the scene for the night. All band members were decked out in eccentric outfits including rainbow Afros and Hawaiian t-shirts. Alternating between original songs and Bob Marley covers, Bron Don created a very relaxed atmosphere — a perfect introduction for the night.

The second artist was a disc jockey, playing music with an alternative spin. Performing between sets, the DJ offered some standard dance music, along with more mellow beats. This offside set gave concertgoers the chance to experience different types of music all within the same venue.

The third artist, the Trap Music Orchestra, was the showcase of the night. With the longest set and most unorthodox melody, TMO combined different genres of music to create a very original sound. TMO is a band comprised of Berklee College of Music graduates. They blend together traditionally separate sounds, including classical jazz, trap music and orchestral music, resulting in a unique fusion. Many of the songs resembled more of a journey rather than one single sound throughout. For example, a song would start off with a slow beat, more orchestra-heavy, leading into a chorus that was more upbeat, adding in more of the trap music element. Switches like this were constantly present throughout all their songs, never solely focusing on one beat or one specific genre. This allowed for a very engaged audience, eager to hear how each song would evolve.

In addition to the fact that TMO stimulates an array of emotions for every audience member and offers a completely unorthodox experience, it also tests the current societal music expectations. We all expect to listen to songs with roots in one genre, or multiple genres that are similar to each other. Rarely do we contemplate the idea of listening to a song that cannot be categorized by iTunes as one genre. It’s almost unheard of for the non-musically inclined general public. We ask our peers what kind of music they enjoy listening to, expecting answers such as “rock” or “alternative.” Even “alternative rock” is acceptable in our minds, as there are many past and existing artists that classify themselves as this. Even if someone says they are interested in hip-hop and country music, we assume that they mean these two genres as listened to separately, a respective playlist for each. TMO is rejecting this notion, showing how it’s possible to blend together two completely different sounds to create one, unconventional sound that is definitely worth listening to.