A Primer

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is currently experiencing a staggering rise in democratic polls in contention for the United States presidency. He edged out Hillary Clinton in early September for the top spot in both Iowa and New Hampshire. Sanders can be seen as the anti-Donald Trump. Sanders offers extreme liberalism in comparison to Trump’s radical right-wing ideas, and both candidates’ poll numbers are soaring. Here’s the soundtrack to his exploding campaign.

Playlist

LCD Soundsystem — “Us Vs Them”

And so all the good people wanna rescue / All the small people wanna talk to you”

James Murphy’s anthemic and danceable call to arms from his second album as LCD Soundsystem creates a duality between those who are in and those who are out.  Lines like “All the small people wanna talk to you” represent Sanders’s campaign funding that mostly comes from worker unions and private donors, and how Sanders’s supporters tend to be very young and very passionate. It’s easy to get swept up in a political movement in an election season, and this song represents that feeling.

Bernie Sander's campaign for presidency has been quite the emotional rollercoaster, and these are the songs to describe it. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Bernie Sander’s campaign for presidency has been quite the emotional rollercoaster, and these are the songs to describe it. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Disclosure — “When A Fire Starts To Burn”

“When a fire starts to burn, right, and it starts to spread / she gon’ bring that attitude home”

Sanders has had a whirlwind of a presidential candidacy. He went from being one of the lowest polling hopefuls to eclipsing to the one everyone expects to win. Disclosure’s song embodies the idea of a movement growing, spreading and eventually conflagrating the entire nation. Feel the Bern.

Neil Young — “Rockin’ In The Free World”

But there’s a warning sign / on the road ahead / there’s a lot of people sayin’ / we’d be better off dead”

This one’s a doozy. Donald Trump was using this song as his walk-on music when speaking before his supporters. When Young got wind of this, he issued a statement saying that Trump “was not authorized to use” the song and officially endorsed Sanders’ campaign for president.

N.W.A. — “F— Tha Police”

A young n—– got it bad cause I’m brown / and not the other color so police think / they have the authority to kill a minority”

This is the definitive anti-cop anthem. N.W.A. rose to a new level of public consciousness this year with the release of their blockbuster biopic “Straight Outta Compton.” N.W.A.’s song is more relevant than ever with the streak of police killings of unarmed young black youths in the last year. Bernie has been a vocal proponent of police reform.

Wilco — “War on War”

It’s a war on war / there’s a war on”

These days it seems like there’s a war on everything: war on drugs, war on women and countless other causes on top of actual wars with which the United States is involved. Jeff Tweedy, lead singer of Wilco, recently announced his support of Sanders in a joint statement along with Foo Fighters, Lil B, Red Hot Chili Peppers,  Killer Mike and many more musicians. Sanders has been antiwar and, almost paradoxically, pro-veteran in his senatorial career. He’s been fighting his own “war on war” for many years.