The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, people were smiling and baseball was back on the grass at Fenway Park — it was a good day. After a winter from hell with over 100 inches of snow and many snow days, Monday was like a new world. Hoards of Boston Red Sox faithful fans filled Kenmore Square Monday afternoon to watch their first game at Fenway this season.

The Red Sox opened the season on April 6 with a series in Philadelphia and then a series in the Bronx, New York before returning home to Fenway. The Red Sox have played seven games of their 162-game season and have won five of them. They stomped on the Philadelphia Phillies in the opening game, winning 8-0 and hitting five home runs. They continued on to the Bronx where they downed the New York Yankees in a 19-inning epic game, 6-5.

The Red Sox are on a roll — this is a thought that seems foreign to most of Red Sox Nation after an abysmal 2014 season. The roll continued Monday with a 9-4 victory against the Washington Nationals.

Boston Red Sox Favorite David Ortiz was the first up to bat in this year's Opening Day at Fenway Park. PHOTO VIA WIKIPEDIA

Boston Red Sox Favorite David Ortiz was the first up to bat in this year’s Opening Day at Fenway Park. PHOTO VIA WIKIPEDIA

On a day where the weather could not be more perfect, fans flocked to the old green park on Lansdowne Street for the 103rd home opener at Fenway Park. The Red Sox had an 8-0 lead by the end of the third inning. New Sox pitcher Rick Porcello threw eight innings of dominant baseball, allowing just four hits and one walk and striking out six batters.

Centerfielder Mookie Betts had an all-star day, getting two hits, stealing two bases and making a home run-stopping catch in centerfield.

Betts stole two bases on the same play in the bottom of the first inning, completing a play that has only occurred a handful of times in baseball history. To start off the first inning, leadoff hitter Betts was walked. With designated hitter David Ortiz up at bat, Betts took off for second and then continued on to third, just narrowly beating out the tag at third. Later in the game, Betts blasted a three-run home run over the left field wall.

“Betts turned the early innings into a personal highlight reel,” The Boston Globe reported.

For a team that was rebuilt this winter after coming in last place in the American League East in 2014, it is really nice to see them experience some early success. It would have been easy for the fans to write them off again if they stumbled out of the gate. It is definitely easy to get back on the bandwagon when they are giving us something to believe in.

The Red Sox look to continue their great playing streak Tuesday against the Nationals at Fenway at 6:10 p.m. They will wrap up the series against the Nationals on Wednesday, and the Baltimore Orioles will come to town for the long weekend on Friday.