Sunday was an overall great day. Not only did I feel the sun on my face for the first time in months and was able to walk outside without an insulated coat, more importantly, Hillary Clinton, my queen, formally announced what we have all been waiting for. She’s running for president. She joins, among others, Republican U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz from Texas, Republican U.S. Sen. Rand Paul from Kentucky and Republican Sen. Marco Rubio from Florida.

In a two-minute video released on Clinton’s YouTube channel, Americans of different languages, races, ages and sexualities tell you all about their plans for the future. Mrs. Clinton does not appear until the end of the video, when she proudly proclaims, “I’m getting ready to do something, too. I’m running for president.”

Hillary Clinton announced her candidacy for the 2016 election on Sunday with a short video aimed at representing the middle-class. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER MARC NOZELL

The video seems to focus on Clinton becoming representative of, or in her words, a “champion” for middle-class Americans with regular struggles and challenges, whether it’s growing the best tomatoes in the neighborhood garden or preparing to have a baby.

I’ll never forget the Hillary Clinton of the 2008 presidential election. I was in seventh grade, and it was the first election I actually remember caring about. It was, after all, pretty historic, ending in the nation’s first ever African-American president. It also started a conversation about the role of women in politics with its female frontrunners: Clinton, who lost to U.S President Barack Obama during the Democratic primaries, and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, vice presidential candidate for U.S. Sen. John McCain. Clinton went on to serve as Obama’s secretary of state.

Already, I can tell that the Hillary of 2016 is going to be different. In 2008, she seemed colder, and her demeanor was the theme of many parody sketches (I’m looking at you, Amy Poehler). This time, she seems calmer, and her announcement video is historic. In it, she openly supports gay rights as well as other minority groups. It was only about a year ago when the Internet exploded after a Super Bowl ad featured “America the Beautiful” sung in different languages, but in her video, Hill dedicated a whopping six seconds to two brothers who spoke about how they were opening their own business in Spanish (with subtitles).

There is no doubt that Clinton will face a multitude of obstacles. She may be used to some of them, such as overall sexism and discrimination from the media, but she’ll have to find a way to handle other issues such as the 2012 Benghazi attack, a curve ball Republicans will throw at her over and over again. It’ll also be interesting to see how Clinton has used her experience in the White House as Secretary of State, as well as her newly gained personal experience. She became a grandmother this past year — to her advantage.

No matter what, though, I have high hopes for Hillary and truly cannot wait to see how she progresses in her campaign. As a woman, I am itching to see her succeed to the White House as president. I’m also itching to see many more Kate McKinnon impressions on Saturday Night Live, because we all know that’s our favorite part about any election.