“I’ll see you again in 25 years,” Laura Palmer presciently said in the series finale of the ‘90s cult classic television series, “Twin Peaks.” During the first few months of 2015, it seemed like audiences finally would.

When the series was canceled after only two seasons back in 1991, many devoted fans were frustrated at the lack of closure provided in the series finale, which left the fates of Special Agent Dale Cooper and other residents of Twin Peaks up to fervent speculation and inference. The corresponding “prologue” to the series, the 1992 David Lynch-directed film “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” also contributed very little insight into the series’ conclusion. Understandably, Twin Peaks creators Mark Frost and David Lynch’s sudden announcement in late 2014 was met with delight from the series’ cult following, as well as from the casual fan of surrealist, ’90s serial dramas.

Will "Twin Peaks" not be making a comeback after all? PHOTO VIA ADWEEK

Will “Twin Peaks” not be making a comeback after all? PHOTO VIA ADWEEK

The show is scheduled to return for a limited run in July 2016 on Showtime, and it will be set in the present day. It will consist of nine episodes written by both Frost and Lynch, and will be directed by Lynch. However, at a panel for his art exhibit “Between Two Worlds” in Brisbane, Australia on March 14, co-creator David Lynch expressed there were “complications” regarding whether or not the reboot was still happening. Although the revival was previously believed to have been moving forward, Lynch’s comments are not dissimilar to previous comments he has made, which expressed hesitance to continue the story of the series.

Reboot or no reboot, here is a list of very conceivable reasons as to why “Twin Peaks” should still make a momentous comeback.

First and foremost, there is the highly significant “see you in 25 years” message uttered by the ever-arresting Laura Palmer herself. Although “Twin Peaks” is known for being chock full of cryptic, ominous and absurd quotes, this one, even back in 1991, carried the potential for continuation of the tales of Palmer, Dale Cooper and the other inhabitants of the infamous “Red Room.” In addition, 2016 is still inevitably going to be the 25th anniversary of the series’ ending. Something. Should. Happen.

Secondly, many who followed the show the first time around were left dissatisfied with how the second season ended, not to mention the second season in its entirety. While the series followed the story of Palmer and her enigmatic life and death, “Twin Peaks” also devoted attention to the equally complicated lives of the family, friends and the eccentric town she left behind. In a modern day setting, as the reboot is reportedly set to adopt, those stories, as well as those of new characters, can undeniably be explored.

The third reason is quite simple. The world has simply been devoid of Lynch-directed moving pictures, general surrealist melodrama and killer cherry pie for far too long. “Twin Peaks” was fresh and innovative television when it aired back in the ‘90s, and although it could get a little strange at times (okay, most of the time), those qualities were what made the show so popular. Bringing back such provocative and captivating storylines would fit perfectly with the abundance of similarly entertaining and exciting series that have come out in the past decade. Here’s to “Twin Peaks” coming back into style.