They tried to make me go to rehab.

If you were to say those words to people, most would probably catch the reference. Chances are, they would even respond with a “No, no, no.” That is the legacy with which the late Amy Winehouse has left this generation. In 2003, Amy Winehouse debuted her hit album, “Frank.” The title refers to the style of one of Amy’s biggest musical influences and heroes: Frank Sinatra. This album propelled her into musical stardom, as it went triple platinum. Three years later, she would come out with her second — and final — album, “Back to Black.” Contrasting with the jazz-inspired “Frank,” this album drew its inspirations from female groups in the 1950s and ‘60s with more R&B-based sounds. “Back to Black” would receive six Grammy nominations and five wins, cementing her status as a musical force to be reckoned with.

“Back to Black” is the album that her hit song, “Rehab,” came from, and is most likely to be featured in the upcoming documentary, “Amy: The Girl Behind The Name.”

"Amy" will give fans an inside look at Winehouse's life that they hand't previously seen. PHOTO VIA WIKIPEDIA

“Amy” will give fans an inside look at Winehouse’s life that they hadn’t previously seen. PHOTO VIA WIKIPEDIA

Winehouse passed away in 2011 due to alcohol poisoning. She was only 27 years old. For the few years before her death, Amy struggled with substance abuse, checking — ironically — into rehab a couple of times. “Amy: The Girl Behind The Name” aims to bring to light a different side of Amy Winehouse that the general public did not have the chance to see.

Film plans for the documentary were announced in 2013, but the process had been very slow. However, after nearly two years, the release date for “Amy” has been announced and is scheduled to premiere this summer on July 3 in the United Kingdom. A U.S. release has not been confirmed. However, the film will be made available via Altitude Films.

The film team for “Amy” includes filmmaker Asif Kapadia, director of the two-time BAFTA Award winning documentary “Senna.” This documentary depicted the life and tragic death of Formula 1 racer Ayrton Senna, who died while leading the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix. Kapadia posted on the movie’s official Facebook page in 2013 that the ultimate goal for the Amy Winehouse documentary is to “truly capture not just the great artist that she was, but also the funny and loving person that most people didn’t get a chance to know.” Winehouse’s family is also looking forward to this film, asserting that “Amy” is a musical tribute to their talented daughter.

Much information has not been released in terms of the content of the documentary, but it has been confirmed that previously unseen footage of Winehouse, along with unheard tracks, will be part of the film. Fans and audience members alike will have a chance to catch a glimpse of the late singer’s life, relationships and the musical process of her songs.

Amy Winehouse was an anomaly. She refused to be molded within a box, and instead rather defiantly presented her own style and color. She inspired generations of various types of artists, ranging on the creative spectrum from musicians to fashion designers. Karl Lagerfeld even drew her as his own style muse, sending his models down the runway with Amy’s signature beehive hair at the 2007 Chanel Pre-Fall show at London Fashion Week. “Amy: The Girl Behind The Name” hopes not only to capture the essence of Amy Winehouse and her multifaceted impact on not only the music industry, but also on the world.