On March 9, a few short months after it was announced that the beloved paranormal-comedy film “Ghostbusters” was getting an all female-fronted reboot, Sony Pictures detailed new plans to develop a corresponding sequel. This time around, however, producers expressed interest in having the film contain, once again, an all-male cast.

You might be asking: aren’t there already two male-driven “Ghostbusters” films in existence? You’re right — there are! But it appears that the franchise’s two films, one of which is the original, most-renowned and cherished installment, have somehow tragically not provided sufficient cinematic representation for men. It seems that women still can’t have anything for themselves.

Ivan Reitman, director and producer of “Ghostbusters” and “Ghostbusters II” and one of the principals of the new production company Ghostcorps, expressed that the sequel is merely a natural course of progression for the franchise.

“This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy,”Reitman said to Deadline. “Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that … He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that.”

Comedian Kristin Wiig is set to lead the all-female cast of the upcoming "Ghostbusters" remake. However, another all-male remake is also in the works. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER Viva Vivanista

Comedian Kristin Wiig is set to lead the all-female cast of the upcoming “Ghostbusters” remake. However, another all-male remake is also in the works. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER
Viva Vivanista

Objectively, most people would agree that the development of more “Ghostbusters” films would be wonderful. As long as the movies are fresh, enjoyable for all and, most of all, funny, it would appear that everything would be fine no matter what the cast comprises.

Sadly, that can’t necessarily be applied in the real world, and especially in the world of Hollywood, where women remain vastly and frustratingly underrepresented.

The lady “Ghostbusters,” the first in the franchise reboot, is set to hit theaters in July 2016. The film will star Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. These are four popular and talented comediennes who, along with director and writer Paul Feig, will very likely create a film that will be just as — if not more — hilarious and culturally significant as the original.

In recent years, female-fronted movies such as “Bridesmaids” and “The Heat” (both Feig-directed), have proven to be equal parts funny and commercially successful, so it’s not surprising that production companies such as Sony Pictures have pushed to develop similar all-girl dominated stories for the big screen.

As a fan of both “Ghostbusters” and the four new leading ladies, I was extremely excited to see how this new installment would take on the premise of “ghostbusting” in the 21st century and even more excited that there would be yet another film free of trite and typical “funny” men.

But this new announcement was just completely disheartening. It’s unfortunate (but again, not surprising) how quickly Sony and Ghostcorps have shifted focus from their supremely awesome all-female “Ghostbusters” movie to the more unexciting prospect of an all-male sequel. Although I’m sure many would love to see Channing Tatum or Chris Pratt as Ghostbusters, let’s face it: I don’t think the world desperately needs it.

What the world needs now are more stories that convey diverse experiences, and more of those stories turned into movies with equally diverse lead actors — and that includes movies with more leading women.

As for “Ghostbusters”, I’m all for a sequel (and hey, even more so for a sequel with another all-female cast) but I think we should focus on the wonderful movie we have promised for us next year. Let the ladies have their moment.