On Feb. 26, thousands of music lovers across the globe rejoiced as the music industry announced the decision to change the global release date for music to Friday instead of Tuesday, the decades old designated day for new music.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, known as the “voice” of the worldwide recording industry, announced the momentous decision that will go into effect this summer. The IFPI detailed their reasoning for this decision in a Feb. 26 statement, explaining, “The compelling logic of Friday [being the new release day] is that it is the day that best suits consumers … It’s also the time of greatest activity on social media, helping amplify the buzz around new releases everywhere. And the weekend is a time for greater spontaneous purchasing.”

Aside from an increase in revenue for both artists and record companies once new music is put out, the new global release day also significantly aims to diminish the threat of music piracy and leaks before a record is released — occurrences that have become more and more commonplace and inescapable in our modern age.

Music lovers will now have the ability to listen to new music all weekend long with "New Music Friday." PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER 401(K) 2012

Music lovers will now have the ability to listen to new music all weekend long with “New Music Friday.” PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER 401(K) 2012

The IFPI’s judgment seems to be pretty sound, and their goals are nothing short of laudable — no record executives, musicians or fans appear to be excessively indignant about this change.

As someone who prides herself on keeping up with the latest new music releases, I strongly related to the feeling of frustration brought about by waiting for new albums by my favorite musicians. After months (or sometimes years) of patiently anticipating a new record, nothing can compare to the moment that record is finally released and you absorb it completely for the first time — all feels right in the world. But what has never felt right is having that transcendent moment happen on a Tuesday.

Even though waiting for Tuesday meant that you would have practically the rest of that week to enjoy a new release, it more significantly meant that you would be looking forward to Tuesday, which is proven to be the least exciting day of the week. (Sorry, ILoveMakonnen). At least on a Friday, as the IFPI has also asserted, music can be very appropriately enjoyed all throughout a carefree weekend. And even after that, the rest of the week also allows itself be soundtracked by new releases, which would eventually bring everyone full circle and lead up to the next “New Music Friday.”

In addition, music enthusiasts everywhere will probably be most comforted and satisfied by the international alignment of dates for putting out new music. Over the years, fans of many international artists — whose music is sometimes released either a couple of days earlier than here in the United States or released exclusively months before to other countries first — have collectively expressed disdain for a lack of uniformity in release dates.

All in all, the new global release date is presenting itself to be a positive and largely beneficial decision. In the digital age we inhabit, it seems more than appropriate to consolidate releases to one day and have people enjoy music together all at once. Music has always managed to unite people from all walks of life and from all corners of the globe on its own, but with this new initiative, it looks like people will be “gettin’ down on Friday” together once again.