Even up until about a decade ago, unless you were a “somebody,” you were a nobody within the fashion industry. It didn’t matter how different and fashion-forward your ensemble was — nothing mattered until it was acknowledged by The People. Who are The People? Anna Wintour, Olivia Palermo — the industry’s giants made up of snarky editors and elite socialites. However, within the past few years, there has been a monumental shift in fashion’s demographic.

Millennials, Generation Y, Tech Generation — different names for the same thing. The generation synonymous to the words: fast, instant, temporary. This generation falls in love with trends just as quickly as it moves onto the next big thing. And as of late, a new trend has popped up that is changing the dynamic of the fashion industry: fashion blogging. With a camera, natural lighting and original opinions people have been turning their hobbies into life-changing opportunities, some so lucrative people are quitting their day jobs.

Fashion blogger Chiara Ferragni is creating a name for herself. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES/WIKIPEDIA

This movement has been creating a new type of entrepreneurship, one in which a simple love for fashion and beauty can be turned into a business. Fashion bloggers are redefining the way brands are reaching the general population, and more importantly, challenging the once oligopolistic power held by the very few and very powerful. Fashion bloggers are influencing trends that were once only swayed by the big fashion magazines.

However, the most important thing from this new phenomenon is neither the sponsors from some of the industry’s most respected names nor the coveted invitations from New York Fashion Week. It is that average people like you and me are the key players who are revolutionizing how fashion and business work. For companies that are reaching out to these bloggers, it means a small price to pay for a wide range of exposure. This small price usually includes money, free clothes or products. A mutual, fashionable symbiotic relationship, if you will.

Chiara Ferragni, Zoe Suen and Danielle Bernstein are all fashion bloggers who have been creating names for themselves with each post and Instagram photo they upload. But beyond all of this, there is an underlying need to be known, a desire for fame.

Like many things in this world, there are two sides, two views to this new type of career.

One view can be seen as the “old view,” mainly because this view is typically possessed by the older, more conservative members of society who roll their eyes at selfies. Attention to name brands, taking pictures and uploading to every social media outlet are all seen as forms of self-exploitation. To those who possess the “old view,” such millennials are seen as vain, egocentric and even narcissistic.

The second view can be called the “new view,” for the sake of simplicity. The “new view” advocates are the 10-somethings, 20-somethings and even 30-somethings who view fashion blogging and the likes as a form of self-expression.  They are the high-school students and college graduates who do not find satisfaction in 9-to-5 jobs in cubicles.

Regardless of the differing views, it is undeniable the popularity and influence fashion blogging is both receiving and exerting. This new type of career has been changing the once rigid and faraway fashion industry, and its impact is only growing.