Rain or shine, the Oscars is probably the most prestigious award show honoring the best films of 2014. On Sunday night, the hottest celebrities hit the red carpet wearing the best and, of course, worst from the most prestigious designers. Viewers were left gasping at the beautiful gowns. However, people were also left wondering why some decided to go out in public wearing what they put on. Excited fans, attendees and viewers at home watched the fashion of the 87th Academy Awards in anticipation of amazing and horrible red carpet looks.

Rosamund Pike, star of "Gone Girl," rocked the red carpet at this year's Academy Awards. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS USER MyCanon

Rosamund Pike, star of “Gone Girl,” rocked the red carpet at this year’s Academy Awards. PHOTO VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS USER MyCanon

Let’s start with the best looks of last night. These would be my personal favorites and all contain a wow-factor:

Faith Hill cut off all of her hair, rocking a short pixie cut and a dress with a low neckline creating a stunning look. She paired the beautiful J. Mendel gown with a long diamond necklace. Her haircut is one of the looks that was seen throughout recent New York Fashion Week shows. Hill is definitely rocking her new ‘do.

Anna Kendrick wowed everyone with a beautiful custom tangerine gown made by upcoming designer Thakoon Panichgul, from New York, with some pretty embellishment around her neck. Her dress embodies a lot of what we saw last night. As stated by Entertainment News during its red carpet coverage, that style includes “cleaner lines and cleaner gowns this season, which is refreshingly modern.”

In another simple yet stunning look, Margot Robbie looked stunning in her black draped Yves Saint Laurent dress with a plunging neckline and her bright red lips. Another look seen at New York Fashion Week, Robbie’s red lip embodies a look scene in multiple other recent runway shows. Her simple accessories and emerald statement necklace really pull together the striking look.

Rita Ora, also sporting a short and sophisticated haircut like Faith Hill, wore a dark blue Marchesa gown. The tightly fitted dress has an elegant long trail of blue following it and beautifully designed bust with layed gold trimming underneath. Her dress is one of the other styles besides the simplistic look that was popular on last night’s red carpet. Her dress embodies the more heavy and embellished look. These gowns tend to be riskier. However, Ora pulls off the look, creating a breathtaking assemble.

“Gone Girl” star Rosamund Pike is by far my favorite look of the night. Just after having a baby, Pike sported a tightly fitted red strapless Givenchy dress, wowing everyone. The dress is bold with beautiful layered lace and a high slit, accentuating her curves. Paired with a simple pair of perfectly matched red heels, the star pulled off the look with zero errors. Her hair, of course, was even styled to perfection with a classy ballerina bun.

My least favorite looks of the night:

Naomi Watts wore a look that looks like a brick wall in silver and black. Who wears a bandeau to the Oscars? No, it is not a 14-year-old child, but Watts under her horribly fitting dress. Her sequin Armani Privé gown does not flatter the eyes or her body.

Chrissy Teigen, this is not Sports Illustrated. Teigan took the classic “Angelina Jolie slit” a little too far. Teigan wore a light blue Zuhair Murad dress with beading that looks just trashy, which was paired well with the slit that is just about to show her privates.

Laura Dern must have gotten confused, looking as if she was going into battle in her silver and shining Alberta Ferretti gown. I don’t know if it is because she is sporting some armored protection, or simply some silver foil left over from yesterday’s lunch. Either way, the star seemed confused and should have left the kitchenware at home.

Overall, I found the worst look to be Laura Dern and best look of the night to be Rosamund Pike. Most stars Sunday night embodied last week’s New York Fashion Week gown and hair trends, adding the hottest trends for the upcoming season in their award-show looks and resulting in a fashion success.