Jenna Perlman, Staff Writer
@jenna_perlwoman

Ah, Netflix. The 21st century’s most beautiful creation. The ability to sit effortlessly on your couch with thousands of TV and movies is at your fingertips. It’s incredible. While Netflix is a great way to explore different cultures, time periods and situations, it’s also a great way to spend a cold day, cuddled up in a blanket with a mug of hot cocoa.

Jenna Perlman's instant guide to Netflix. PHOTO MADE BY FALON MORAN. PHOTOS VIA NETFLIX

Jenna Perlman’s instant guide to Netflix. PHOTO MADE BY FALON MORAN. PHOTOS VIA NETFLIX

Since I had some time over my winter break to relax in front of a screen, here is a personal list of the top five shows to watch on Netflix.

1. “Parks and Recreation”: This show is hil-ar-rious. Not only is it casual and relatable, but also the comedic situations in the small town of Pawnee are genuine. Without a laugh track in the background, this show allows you to determine what you actually think is funny, which makes for a more enjoyable experience. Plus, Amy Poehler is a perfect human being, and Chris Pratt is so perfect playing the stupid yet-loveable Andy Dwyer.
  2. “Gossip Girl”: I know you’re thinking, “Really? Gossip Girl?” but it’s a right of passage! And let’s be honest, we’ve all watched it. “Gossip Girl” makes me want to be Upper East Side royalty like Blair and Serena, and their lives are magical. While it can be overdramatic at times, the underlying motif of friendship and love really make the show beautiful and worthwhile.
  3. “Orange is the New Black”: This “dramedy” or a drama comedy has won all the awards, and it deserves them, too. It has such a perfect balance between suspenseful and comedic moments, as well as many sentimental scenes between the prisoners at Litchfield Correctional Facility. While this show is obviously an over-dramatization of real life, it really has made me question and challenge the whole concept of the American prison system.
  4. “Scandal”: Olivia Pope is God. She’s a powerful woman who proves that women can be feminine and powerful at the same time. This show indulges my nerdy political side, and sometimes leaves me with a powerful cliffhanger that makes me want to scream. Most importantly, this show is amazing for young women, because Olivia Pope tells me that I can do anything I desire.
  5. “Mad Men”: This show is a beautiful representation of the 1960’s. While this show is generally sexist as a result of the setting and time period, it also shows the rising up of Peggy Olson from a secretary to a creative executive. This is truly a refreshing turn on the previous sexist behavior in the show.

HONORABLE MENTION: “The Interview”: while not a TV show, this movie was everything I’ve ever wanted and more. Despite the character of real-life Kim Jong-un, this movie made him incredibly loveable. It was just hilarious.

Whether you watch Netflix for simple enjoyment, or rather for a way to procrastinate your homework (me), Netflix has eternally changed and revolutionized the television industry. The speed at which we can digest television has rapidly increased, allowing us to enter different worlds and times instantly. Now grab some popcorn and enjoy your Netflix binge, because Netflix shows rock.