Austin Crann, Staff Writer
@austincrann

Last week, Meghan “I Wasn’t Strong Enough for an Eating Disorder” Trainor’s debut album “Title” started off as a massive hit on the Billboard charts. It sold almost 200,000 copies, finally dethroning Taylor Swift’s “1989” from the top of the charts. The album has the biggest first-week numbers for a women’s debut album since Susan Boyle flew to the top of the charts with “I Dreamed a Dream” back in 2009. The album’s success is quite a shock, as Trainor seemed to be veering into one-hit wonder territory. The album itself isn’t very good, either — just think of variations of “All About That Bass” on an endless loop. While Trainor may have escaped the pitfalls of one-hit wonder-dom, some other, more talented pop stars have not. Here the three pop stars whose albums deserve more success than Trainor’s.

Carly Rae Jepsen: “Kiss.” There has been no justice for Carly Rae Jepsen. Most view her as a complete joke, but her 2012 album “Kiss” is pure pop

PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

Carly Rae Jepsen is a Canadian singer-songwriter released her album “Kiss” in 2012. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

perfection. Amazingly cohesive but not repetitive, it builds off the simple dance floor sound of her smash hit “Call Me Maybe.” Literally every single song on the album is a bop, even the Justin Bieber duet “Beautiful.” It has aged very well in the two years since its release, without a stale track in the bunch. It is packed with what could have been massive hit songs. “Tonight I’m Getting Over You” has a monster chorus and lyrically foils “Call Me Maybe.” “This Kiss” is a delightful, glittery 80s throwback. Disappointingly, both those songs stalled on the charts, and the album itself in two years has sold only a bit more than what Trainor covered in a week. It’s such a shame. Carly should have Grammys, multiple hits and platinum certifications all from “Kiss.”

Tinashe: “Aquarius.” Tinashe had a modest R&B hit in 2014 with “2 On,” but she never really broke out onto the mainstream charts. However, she deserves untold amounts of success. Tinashe, an astonishingly talented

PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

Tinashe most recently released her album “2 On” in 2014. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

performer, is like a cross between Janet Jackson and Britney Spears, sent to save us all from the basically boring contemporary pop stars — Megan Trainor, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Iggy Azalea. And her 2014 debut “Aquarius” was easily the best album of the entire year. Her whispery, sensual vocal delivery is a dead ringer for some of pop queen Janet Jackson’s early work. Songs like “Wildfire” and “All Hands on Deck,” full of bounce and sultriness, would have injected some sonic diversity into the increasingly bland pop radio. Hopefully, Tinashe will receive breakout success for her sophomore album.

Sia: “1000 Forms of Fear.” Sia, unlike Tinashe and Carly, did manage to get a number one album in 2014, but she accomplished that by selling

PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

Sia is a singer-songwriter who has written for other artists such as Rihanna, Britney Spears and Beyoncé. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

merely 50,000 copies. At this point, “1000 Forms of Fear” has barely crossed the 150,000 mark. Based on the runaway success of “Chandelier” and the strength of the material, “1000 Forms of Fear” should have been a massive hit. No one in pop today can write a song like Sia, which is why she writes for Rihanna, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and Beyoncé. And no one can sing like her, either. Her vocals are unmistakable. Songs like “Eye of the Needle”  follow the same blueprint as “Chandelier,” and could have been immediate follow-up successes to that massive hit. There’s still hope for Sia, though. With any luck, she can nab a few Grammys next month for “Chandelier.”