Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@akitchensink2me

Here in the 21st century, humans like to imagine what new technology lies beyond the horizon. Well, now we don’t have to look too far because the future is upon us.

The new device that made its debut at this January’s International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas is the closest thing to a hoverboard that we’re going to see for a while.

Meet OneWheel, the perfect mix between skateboard, snowboard and scooter. Its founder, Kyle Doerksen, wants the user to feel like they are urban snowboarding while using OneWheel.

Onewheel inventor and chief engineer, Kyle Doerksen, wanted riders to feel like they were snowboarding in urban environments. PHOTO VIA RIDEONEWHEEL.COM

OneWheel inventor and chief engineer, Kyle Doerksen, wanted riders to feel like they were snowboarding in urban environments. PHOTO VIA RIDEONEWHEEL.COM

OneWheel is designed as a skateboard with one large wheel in the middle. It runs on a lithium battery and a hub motor. The controls are a mix between a Segway and a snowboard: lean forward and backward to go in those directions (or to brake), and lean on your heels and toes to swerve left and right.

The OneWheel can travel from 4 to 6 miles at speeds up to 12 mph before needing to recharge. The major difference between OneWheel and a skateboard is that OneWheel can go off-road.

Thanks to a Kickstarter campaign, Doerksen was able to get this project off the ground within one year. OneWheel is now selling for $1,500 plus shipping.

A prominent feature of the OneWheel is its iPhone and Android app, where users can personalize riding preferences for their board. Examples include things like “Classic Shaping” and “Adventurous Shaping,” depending on the skill of the user.

I was never one for skateboarding. In fact, I can barely long board. However, with Doerksen’s self-balancing OneWheel, I might be able to look cool cruising down the streets.