By Katie Aramento, Staff Writer
@kaatiekaat14

Anna Kendrick has been dominating the movie-musical genre in recent years, with "Pitch Perfect" in 2011 and "The Last Five Years," which will be released in 2015.  PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER Mingle MediaTV

Anna Kendrick has been dominating the movie-musical genre in recent years, with “Pitch Perfect” in 2012 and “The Last Five Years,” which will be released in Feb. 2015. PHOTO VIA FLICKR USER Mingle MediaTV

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for—the first trailer for “The Last Five Years” is finally here!

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve watched the trailer at least five times already (okay, you got me. It’s more like ten). We all know I’m a huge Jeremy Jordan fan, so of course I wouldn’t miss it. As much as I love Jordan, though, the real scene-stealer in this trailer is Anna Kendrick.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the show, “The Last Five Years” tells the story of Jamie Wellerstein (Jordan), an up-and-coming author, and Cathy Hiatt (Kendrick), a struggling actress. The musical details their entire five-year relationship from start to finish. However, Cathy starts her version of the story with the end of their marriage, and Jamie begins his version when the two first meet.

It really is brilliantly placed together, which isn’t a surprise considering the show is written by one of the greatest composers of our time, Jason Robert Brown. I don’t think I have the words to describe that man’s genius, but I digress.

When I heard that there was going to be a film version of this show, I had my doubts. As I’ve said before, movie musicals don’t always turn out well, but when Jordan was cast, I was immediately on board. I have to admit that I was skeptical about Kendrick as the choice for Cathy. “The Last Five Years” is told entirely through song, and as much as I love Kendrick’s work, I didn’t know if she was the right fit. But I’m weaning away from my doubts. Would JRB ever let us down? I think not.

What most of us may not realize is that Kendrick comes from a theatrical background: she was nominated for a Tony Award in 1998 for her role as Dinah Lord in “High Society.” Her true rise to fame came from the film world when she appeared alongside George Clooney in “Up in the Air” and was nominated for the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in 2010. Kendrick also had a huge pop culture phenomenon on her hands with “Pitch Perfect.” If you haven’t seen at least a dozen covers of “The Cup Song,” you’ve been living under a rock for the past two years.

So it really should be no surprise that Kendrick’s two worlds are now colliding, and that she is dominating the movie musical world. Along with appearing in “The Last Five Years,” she is playing Cinderella in Disney’s “Into the Woods;” her version of “On the Steps of the Palace” was just released last week, and it’s beautiful.

Most likely for marketing reasons, more emphasis is placed on Kendrick than Jordan in the “The Last Five Years” trailer. But I didn’t mind it. In fact, I found myself screaming for more (clearly, their marketing strategy worked on me). She shines not only as an actress, but also through every note she sings. I’m slightly obsessed with her version of “Summer in Ohio,” and I’ve only heard 30 seconds of it.

I couldn’t be anymore anxious or excited to see Kendrick shine in these two films, especially “The Last Five Years.” February can’t come soon enough!