By Lucas Williams, Staff Writer
@lucaswhatevs

Soaragami's new invention allows travelers to share armrests instead of fighting for them. PHOTO VIA Flickr user Mark Hodson

Soarigami’s new invention allows travelers to share armrests instead of fighting for them. PHOTO VIA Flickr user Mark Hodson

Someone has solved one of the first world’s biggest problems with a something that looks like a simple piece of paper. Inspired by paper airplanes and origami, Soarigami divides an airplane armrest in half so both passengers get an armrest. It won’t be available in time for the holidays though, so everyone will have to go at least another month fighting each other for the coveted armrest.

Comparisons can be drawn to the Knee Defender, a device that prevents seats in front from reclining. However, the Knee Defender prompted a plane to divert its flight path after a fight broke out between a passenger and a user of the Knee Defender. Soarigami, on the other hand provides a solution beneficial to both parties. How considerate.

As a person whose arms are longer than a baby anaconda, I have nothing but respect for whoever decided to patent this revolutionary invention. Soarigami is estimated to cost somewhere around $30 when it becomes available for purchase. Of course, you could always make a paper airplane and tape it upside-down to your armrest, but really, you should leave problem-solving to the professionals. I swear this isn’t an advertisement; I’m just really excited for this product.

In light of this new development in airplane comfort, I’m hopeful for what the future will bring in regards to air travel. In the coming years, I’d like to see earplugs on the market that drown out babies’ shrill screams. Sharing an armrest is nice and all for tall, long limbed people like me, but it’s time that people recognize that babies are the real menaces of airplanes.

The present is a wonderful time to be alive. Toilets flush themselves, people can watch television on their phones, and now we can all share our armrests. The only thing that could be better than this is cheaper first class tickets.