By Adrienne Cytto, Staff Writer
@acytto

It's been a great semester, Sydney! PHOTO VIA STEPHANIE PENNETTI

It’s been a great semester, Sydney! PHOTO VIA STEPHANIE PENNETTI

It’s hard to believe that four months have gone by and that my time in Sydney is almost over. Not everyone has the chance to say they student-taught and lived in Australia while in college, but BU has given me the opportunity to do so and it has been absolutely amazing.

For anyone thinking of coming to Australia to study abroad, there truly is something here for everyone. There are thrilling adventures like skydiving, canopy surfing in the rainforest, scuba diving and so much more.

There’s beautiful scenery and places to visit from the Sydney Harbor (including the Opera House and Harbor Bridge) to Hyde Park, and hundreds of beautiful beaches. Outside of Sydney you can explore the city streets of Melbourne, paradise in Cairns, and the Aussie Outback and Uluru to name a few. And let’s not forget about the awesome wildlife!

Australia has such a rich and interesting history and culture, from with the Aboriginals to the creation of a convict settlement to what the country is today. I’ve been able to experience the culture and history in many ways, including teaching my students about Aboriginal culture and Dreamtime stories, reenacting the murder trial of the iconic bushranger, Ned Kelly, in Melbourne, and touring the Hyde Park barracks where convicts were housed in Sydney.

Being away from home for so long has been a challenge but has only made me a stronger and more independent person. One thing I wish I had done sooner was go out and explore on my own. Sometimes it will lead you to places you wouldn’t have gone to before and you might meet people you never would have talked to if you were in a large group or with some friends. Coming from someone who likes to be around other people, it might seem hard or lonely at first, but it is completely worth it.

Going abroad is all about trying something new and uncomfortable and ending up with some pretty great memories that will last a lifetime. So if you have the opportunity to go abroad, especially to Australia, do it. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made and an experience I will never forget.