by Lucas Williams, Staff Writer
@lucaswhatevs

Sony Pictures Hacked – And North Korea May be the Culprit

Everyone’s favorite wacky dictatorship is at it again. The North Korean government allegedly hacked Sony Pictures and leaked a few upcoming movies, including “Fury” and a remake of “Annie.” One movie that wasn’t leaked to the public, however, was James Franco and Seth Rogen’s “The Interview,” which points to North Korea facilitating the hack.

Franco (L) and Rogen (R) appear in "The Interview," which will come out on Christmas. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

Franco (L) and Rogen (R) appear in “The Interview,” which will come out on Christmas. PHOTO VIA GOOGLE IMAGES

In “The Interview,” hash bros Franco and Rogen’s characters are tabloid journalists recruited by the CIA to assassinate Kim Jong-un, the supreme leader of North Korea. In June, the North Korean government condemned the movie, calling it a “most wanton act of terror and act of war” for portraying an attack on North Korea’s leader. Apparently one of the most oppressive leaders of the 21st century can’t take a joke. Who would’ve thought?

North Korea’s foreign ministry even demanded that the U.S. government and the United Nations ban the film from being shown. After being rejected, North Korea promised a “resolute and merciless response” in the future. Ooo, foreboding.

In a move of utter shadiness, North Korea will neither confirm nor deny their involvement in the hack, but the country’s UN spokesman “kindly advis[ed] [the world] to just wait and see.” That cinematic supervillain-esque response doesn’t help its case.

North Korea is also suspected of leaking the movies because the malware used in the Sony hack was found to be similar to the malware used when North Korea hacked South Korean banks last year. In addition to leaking Sony’s movies, the hackers also leaked Sony employees’ salaries, Social Security numbers and other details of laid-off workers.

Though it’s highly unlikely, Kim Jong-un may be the great person behind this despotism and tyrannous haircut. But if anybody outside of North Korea thought well of Kim Jong-un, his or her opinion isn’t going to be changed by watching a movie with the two bros who intimately held each other shirtless on a motorcycle, Kimye-style.

If North Korea did hack Sony Pictures, it would most likely be a way of demonstrating its hacking power. It could have been an exercise for bigger things to come. Who knows what’s next with North Korea’s “The Hunger Games” regime. We’ll just have to listen to the country’s eerie advice to wait and see.