By Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@akitchensink2me

We always talk about doing the right thing. In movies, the hero always reaps the benefits when he or she saves the day. But here, in the real world, sometimes heroes face the consequences of their actions, no matter how good they are.

Vigils are being held in Berlin to mourn the loss of a 23-year-old woman who stood up to a group of men that was harassing two teenage girls.

Tugce Albayrak confronted the men in a McDonald’s in Offenbach, Germany. Later, one of the men struck her with an unknown object in the back of the head, causing her to fall headfirst onto a stone. Albayrak fell into a coma and was later pronounced brain dead. Her parents chose to end her life support.

People have collected online under the hashtag #Zivilcourage to define what it means to be a conscientious citizen. And this isn’t the first time people around the globe have intervened in violent situations and have been violently assaulted themselves.

The entire sentiment of doing the right thing seems like a double-edged sword. In an ideal world, it should be like the movies where you do the right thing and you save someone and then you go on with your life as if everything is all right. But unfortunately, it doesn’t always work like that.

It’s a hard thing to decide, especially in the moment. People shouldn’t be against helping other people if there’s a chance that they could get hurt — but then that’s exactly why most people don’t intervene in situations like that.

It’s strange to think about. Nonetheless, people like Albayrak should be praised and remembered as heroes because they were able to help fellow humans out in a time of need at the cost of their lives.