By Jenna Perlman, Staff Writer
@jenna_perlwoman

For years, Barbie dolls have portrayed an unrealistic body type to young girls around the world./PHOTO VIA Flickr user RomitaGirl67

To many young girls, Barbie was our first childhood best friend. We dressed her up, took her to Malibu and rode around in her pink buggy car. But I don’t think we (or at least me, personally) ever realized how disproportioned her body was.

New York Daily News did the calculations, and a person in real life with the proportions of Barbie would be 5’9″ and 110 pounds, which is incredibly tall and underweight. Her neck would be so skinny that she would not be able to hold her head up, and she would not be able to walk, for her feet would be size 3.

That’s a little messed up, isn’t it? Dolls like Barbie defined the way that little girls look at their bodies, and the exposure to an unachievable and ridiculous body type at such a young age can’t be good for a little girl’s confidence and body image. Barbie is telling us what we should think is beautiful and it’s so wrong and so destructive.

Fortunately, there’s a new doll in town, with a shorter build, wider hips and flat feet. This “Lammily” doll is changing our country, showing that normal proportions are beautiful.

A Pittsburg-based artist, Lamm, created this doll when he realized that there is no childhood doll that accurately represents “average” beauty. He took measurements from a 19-year-old woman and converted his measurements into a doll with realistic proportions. And even better, this doll comes with stickers portraying acne, stretch marks and cellulite, showing that even dolls have impurities.

The designer wants to show everyone that “average is beautiful” and that his doll is an alternative to unrealistic Barbie and hyper-sexualized Bratz dolls. And kids freakin’ love this doll – he says that very few kids are concerned about body image and love the fact they can connect to this doll because it looks like people they know. Parents love it too – this doll exposes their daughters to a healthy body type at a young age, which will make for higher confidence and more positive body image as they mature.

In world where plastic surgery and eating disorders are a result of negative body image, it’s my hope that this Lammily doll turns that around. It’s time that we accept our bodies for the way they are, and embrace the average and reject the super skinny idealized form of beauty. We are beautiful just the way we are, and this doll is trying to prove that to the world. So you go, Lammily Doll – maybe I’ll ask for one of you for Hanukkah.