By Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@beammeupkyra

World consumption of sushi has risen over the past few decades. Don’t lie, you like it too.

Jiro Ono, star of the popular 2011 documentary “Jiro Dreams of Sushi,” urged the world to stop overfishing at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan, saying that it will deplete materials used in traditional sushi sooner than we think.

“I told my young men three years ago sushi materials will totally change in five years,” Ono said. “And now, such a trend is becoming a reality little by little.”

Ono, an 89-year-old master of sushi and owner of Sukiyabashi Jiro restaurant, which is acclaimed to be the best sushi establishment in the world, says he is worried about the fish.

Overfishing has become a global problem in the last few years. Not many people think it’s a big deal, but the difference matters, especially when it comes to sushi.

“I can’t imagine at all that sushi in the future will be made of the same materials we use today,” Ono said.

What he means is farmed fish instead of wild fish. The taste is affected when the fish are raised for food, rather than to survive. It seems biologically engineered so that the population can have enough fish to fill their stomachs.

This might sound like an empty warning, but scientists do, in fact, predict that food fisheries will collapse within the next 50 years. This is important. Some commonly caught fish are the Atlantic Cod, Atlantic Salmon and Atlantic Blue Fin Tuna.

Look familiar? Salmon and tuna are vital parts of the sushi industry, as well as the restaurant scene.

This fear is slowly becoming a reality. As much as fishing is profitable in large quantities, it is also deadly to the ocean as we know it. Below is a 2012 European video on overfishing, fish farming and their consequences.