By Jenna Perlman, Staff Writer
@jenna_perlwoman

These days, little girls want to grow up too fast./PHOTO VIA Flickr user Courtney Carmody

These days, young girls are maturing too fast. Are society and social media the cause for making us want to look young forever?/PHOTO VIA Flickr user Courtney Carmody

What would you do if you caught your 10-year-old daughter sneaking around behind your back, dating an older guy and lying about her age? I honestly don’t know how I would handle it (I don’t plan to be a mother for at least 1,000 years so I’ll cross that bridge when I get there).

However, a real life parent, local Kentucky rapper Kevin Jones aka “Big 7ven” did something about it. And by doing something about it, I mean he embarrassed his daughter publicly and made a huge statement about how girls in our society are growing up way too quickly.

Last week, he posted a picture on Facebook of his daughter wearing what he likes to call a more “age appropriate outfit.” In the photo, she wears bows in her hair, a Disney backpack, pink sneakers and a shirt that boldly writes, “I am 10 years old” and “5th grader.”

So was this parenting style too much? I mean yeah, a little.

BUT – was his ideology on the quick maturing of young girls right? Of course it was.

Big 7evn was just expressing his frustration with girls growing up quicker and quicker as the years have gone on. He wanted to show her the consequences behind her actions and wanted to make her learn that she needed to act her own age.

When talking about the quick maturing of girls, it’s interesting to compare girls today to girls in the in the earlier centuries. Back then, innocence was valued over looks.

But today, it feels like the opposite. Yes, youth is admired regarding beauty. Everyone wants to look young. But then you see people wanting to look like they’re 20 years old forever. Little girls wear cakes of makeup and the elderly get Botox and expensive anti-wrinkle treatments. Why is this?

While that is a broad question with many probable answers, it’s safe to assume the cause: the Internet.

Social media makes it easy for us to share ideas. Twitter, Facebook and other outlets allow our generation to share with their friend’s pictures of the beauty standard. Pinterest and YouTube give us ideas about how to perfect our physical selves, and expose us to things meant for an older audience at a younger age. Our generation also idolizes celebrities more, and the desire to be Miley Cyrus makes middle schoolers load on the lipstick and twerk to “We Can’t Stop.” We’re growing older earlier, and we have to stop it.

While Kevin Jones’s daughter will live the embarrassment of that picture for the next few years or so, she will definitely learn her lesson. But it’s time for the rest of our girls to learn for a brighter future – with little girls playing with dolls again, and leaving the twerkin’ to Miley.