By Alexandria Hilliard, Staff Writer
@alxhilliard

Drake, who got his start on “Degrassi,” has had his fair amount of bad days in the spotlight./PHOTO VIA Wikimedia Commons

In the summer of 2008, I spent most (probably too much) of my time watching reruns of “Degrassi: The Next Generation,” while pining over my favorite character, Jimmy Brooks. The awkward and gangly Canadian teen stole my heart and it wasn’t until just a few years later, that I found myself reading an article in the music section of Vulture about this new artist named Drake that looked all too similar to my childhood crush. It was like I fell in love all over again.

My dumb teen obsession over the actor-turned-rapper, Aubrey Graham, better known as Drake, seems to be quite common among both girls and boys across the globe.

As I was scrolling through my Twitter feed last weekend, I came across a link to a TMZ article titled, “Drake Explodes in Anger; Hurls Thousands in Cash.” Obviously, I quickly clicked the link and watched the video. I was surprised to see Drake in an angry haze, running back into a club while throwing a block of thousands of dollar bills into the air. Luckily, one of his crew members picked it up before anyone could get their hands on it.

The video shocked me. I never got the impression that Drake was someone who would something like that. That afternoon, I was having a conversation with a friend of mine about the video when she asked me an important question: “If we’ve all watched Drake change so much in such a negative way, why are we still just as, if not more, into him now than we were before?”

Usually, when celebrities seem as if they are making drastic changes in character, the public is quick to judge them, like when Miley Cyrus started to evolve into the enigma that she currently is or when Amanda Bynes began her obscure Twitter escapades.

What’s so different about Drake? Why are we so willing to turn a blind eye to his pretension and bouts of anger?

I spent a while contemplating this and trying to find a morally correct answer. I guess you could say that it’s because of his overall charismatic demeanor or the fact that the public is known to judge women faster than they judge men.

Although these answers may be what people would want to hear, my opinion is that we still love him because he’s Drake. He’s not only a rapper, but also someone that a lot of us grew up with. We watched him grow from Jimmy on Degrassi to one of the most prevalent rappers in the world.

I guess my reasoning could come off as somewhat shallow but at the end of the day, talent is talent, and as long as Drake keeps constantly putting out good music (as he has been for the past five years), it will be hard for me to judge him.