By Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@beammeupkyra

Would you trust a ridesharing service to drive your kids to soccer practice or other extracurriculars?/PHOTO VIA Flickr user Carissa Rogers

You know how parents always tell you to never trust strangers and especially not to get in a car with one, even if they have candy or puppies?  Well, a new app called Shuddle lets parents schedule rides for their children.

It sounds weird, but Shuddle has already been dubbed the “Uber for kids.” Not to fret — once parents book the ride, they receive all the information about the driver, including a photo and the specifics of the car. If this app still seems sketchy, you can look up the drivers on the Shuddle website and check for a criminal background. On top of all this, parents can have face-to-face interviews with the drivers before signing up for the ride.

If parents are too busy at work to drive their children to sports practice or play rehearsal, Shuddle seems like a good idea.  It still is strange to think that we are trusting another person to drive our children places, but taxis are basically the same concept.

Parents can book the trips up to a week in advance, and all children are required to have a smart phone with texting capabilities, just to be safe.  Even safer, Shuddle has special insurance to transport children.

Currently, Shuddle is run by a small startup company in San Francisco, with 18 employees. It takes necessary precautions to ensure the safety of the children and to calm parents wary of this service.

Regardless, if I were a parent, I wouldn’t trust Shuddle. It has a lot of great perks and sounds very safe, but I guess I’m old school when I say that I wouldn’t really trust anyone with my children except for maybe family and friends that I’ve known for a while. But that’s just me.

Who knows? Shuddle has many accommodations, and it might grow outside of San Francisco in the coming years.