By Franchie Viaud, Staff Writer

The cast of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," a reality TV series that was cancelled last week./PHOTO VIA Flickr user Lwp Kommunikáció

The cast of “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” a reality TV series that was cancelled last week./PHOTO VIA Flickr user Lwp Kommunikáció

I’ve never watched “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo — it was never really my thing — and seeing as how this isn’t going to be a review I figured it wasn’t wholly necessary. But for the sake of this post, I figured I’d read up on the show, only to find that it brought to fruition my preconceived notions of trash TV. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a little reality entertainment when I’m feeling down in the dumps, and watching someone else’s much more screwed up life unfold on the screen for the populace’s amusement makes me tingle inside.

I understood the overall premise — southern hick little girl of a southern hick family aspires to be the next “Toddlers & Tiaras” reject (or something along those lines). At least, that was my idea from the perspective of someone who’s never watched it. Again, not my thing, yet it seemed to touch the heart of many when news of the show’s cancellation broke, and many fans were left heartbroken over Georgia’s sweetheart.

If what I’m reading is to believe, Honey Boo Boo’s mother, Mama June was seen messing with her child-molester ex-boyfriend, despite her denials of all allegations. Naturally, no one wanted to be seen hosting the girlfriend of a child-molester on national television, and in the predictable case of saving one’s ass, TLC dropped the show. To do otherwise would have been in poor taste, to say the least.

TLC released a statement about protecting all children involved, without explicitly denying or confirming any of the rumors. Whether the allegations were true or not, the show would forever be tainted by these accusations, and if we’re being honest the show’s ratings were in decline long before the story was made public. TLC really had no other option at this point; these weren’t allegations of some intermarital affair, in fact if that was all it was, the cameras would have been primed and on standby to catch each and every excruciatingly painful detail as the family was torn apart. No, these are claims of pedophilia, and even I am not cynical enough to actually warrant trying to sell that.

The network had apparently already shot a whole season of new episodes that won’t be aired because they believed that the safety of the children was in jeopardy. The whole thing has brought about a few questions, one of which being whether or not Mama June would lose custody of her children.

Sadly enough, this isn’t the only instance of a reality TV show seriously imploding. It seems to be the norm, and we can’t get enough of it. There’s something slightly deliciously shameful about watching someone’s life being turned into a national joke and exploited for the sake of entertainment.