By Shannon Watts, Staff Writer
@shannon_watts11

Eliza Taylor, Thomas McDonell and Marie Avgeropoulos, three cast members of “The 100,” at a Comic Con panel./PHOTO VIA Wikimedia Commons

Spoilers for the first two episodes of season two ahead!

There are a few rules to follow in all post-apocalyptic survival situations. One of the big ones: if strange people offer you human comforts with seemingly no catch, you should run. Immediately. There’s always a catch, and odds are, they’re hiding some really sinister stuff, too.

In season two of “The 100,” my favorite mercy-killer and all-around ruthless pragmatist, Clarke, figures out that crucial rule a lot faster than her fellow teen survivors. There have only been two episodes, but there’s an erratic change between them. In the first, Clarke seems like she could be just paranoid (rightfully so!). By the end of the second episode, let’s just say the inhabitants of Mount Weather have creepier things stored away than just old art.

I’ll admit, when I first saw the commercials for “The 100” last year, I was just as dismissive as everyone else who’s ever even contemplated watching anything on the CW. The network has a way of taking interesting premises and destroying them with bad acting, cheesiness, or all that and more. “The 100” doesn’t escape these problems completely, but it compensates for them with interesting plots and strong character development.

But the show continues to be more (and better) than I expected. I watched it for something fun to do on a rainy day; little did I know it would hook me with its “found family” theme and constantly blurry morality. Clarke, Bellamy and Raven are one of my favorite, highly unorthodox onscreen trios; it breaks my heart to see them all separated this season. But I have a feeling they will soon be reunited, and returned to their ruling class splendor.

Last season, the issues the group faced were mostly external. They had just arrived on earth from their space station, and had to learn to survive in the wilderness and fight off the Grounders. We got to see Bellamy and Clarke evolve as leaders, and become the de facto parents they were always meant to be. This season, the actual parents from space have come to earth, and in the process, overthrown any semblance of government the group had. These teens had been surviving on their own for months, but the second Chancellor Kane and his cronies get there, they’re forced back into the position of being powerless children.

I’m really interested in what’s bound to be an interesting set of power dynamics this season. Clarke will have to fight her way out of Mount Weather and away from its creepy leader, Dante Wallace, and get back to the others. Bellamy will either have to learn to take orders or strike out on his own. Raven is crippled, and will have to learn how to cope. One thing I know: the adults won’t hold power over them for long. They banished the entire group to earth as a form of punishment, and that won’t soon be forgotten. Clarke, Bellamy, and Raven protect their people at all costs, even against their own parents.