By Clinton Nguyen, Multimedia Editor (@voxels)

This week is mostly about, well, blogging. Feeling meta as heck rn.

I. Content Moderation

Behind every social media website, there’s an invisible army of content moderators, most of which are outsourced. They serve as the aegis for the digitally uninitiated—your grandma, Aunt Sally, your baby brother—and they’re the buffer separating the garden of your social media site from the Internet’s wellspring of shitposts. Turnover for this job is, as expected, incredibly high.

“If someone was uploading animal abuse, a lot of the time it was the person who did it. He was proud of that,” Rob says. “And seeing it from the eyes of someone who was proud to do the fucked-up thing, rather than news reporting on the fucked-up thing—it just hurts you so much harder, for some reason. It just gives you a much darker view of humanity.”

II. Rage profiteering, or: trolling as an occupation

Almost nobody read the article organically or sincerely. The vast majority of the pageviews came directly from bloggers and social media personalities who claimed to be very upset by it. The people who presumably wished the offensive story didn’t exist ironically did the most to propagate it.

III. a tweet

IV. I ate crickets because they’re the future of food

If you’ll allow me to be real, realer than real, I’d like to say we have a bit of a food crisis—cows and other ungulate livestock take a lot of land, a lot of feed and a lot of development to produce the goods we want: the proteins, hides and milk. Cows fart a lot of greenhouse gases back into the atmosphere. But if all we were looking for was protein, we shouldn’t look much further than insects; they’re pure protein as far as nutrition goes. The only thing stopping us is centuries of cultural stigma.

That said, if you’re in Boston, you can get a taste of what cricket flour tastes like through here. It’ll cost you a pretty penny, but who said the future was cheap?

V. Ubering while black

This New York Times writer found that Uber, Lyft and other ridesharing services gave her and her PoC colleagues more peace of mind compared to the (putting it lightly) rude dismissals from the yellow cab service. But there’s more. Are Uber et al. really championing an inherently less racist workforce, or is its digital interfact pulling wool over our eyes?

VI. thought catalog might just be the worst imo

Here’s a balanced account of the stuff that Thought Catalog puts out. After That One Post (TW: transphobia, Gavin McInnes, gross insensitivity re: mental illness) that got them into a proverbial shitstorm of criticism and boycotting. If the 5,444 comment marker doesn’t tell it all, Thought Catalog revised its content moderation system to flag posts that a working majority of other community members found offensive.

But it’s not changing its direction, not in the least. It’s still an open platform that publishes pretty much anything that passes a vague quality benchmark.

VII. a track

These guys are playing at the Middle East ON MONDAY NIGHT and you should definitely, definitely go if you can provide a government-issued ID showing that you are indeed over 21 years of age. Also it’s free. Please. Please go.