By Kyra Louie, Staff Writer
@beammeupkyra

Believe it or not, a new study shows that encouraging middle schoolers to talk to their parents about having sex can help delay their sexual experiences./PHOTO VIA Flickr user DeepCWind

Believe it or not, a new study shows that encouraging middle schoolers to talk to their parents about having sex can help decrease the rates of middle schoolers having sex./PHOTO VIA Flickr user DeepCWind

It seems that the older we become, the earlier the generations after us become sexual. We’ve all seen Facebook pictures of freshmen in high school (or younger) sporting mini skirts and tube tops.  Or even worse: we’ve wandered around the halls and heard middle school students talk about sexual escapades.

Planned Parenthood has been working on a study for a new sex education curriculum that will decrease the number of middle school students having sexual intercourse. It’s called the Get Real program.

The Get Real study was evaluated in 24 schools in the Boston area over the course of three years. The results were promising.

The main point is to get 6th through 8th graders talking about sex openly, mostly with their parents, and to delay their steps into sexual behavior for a few years. Studies show that, “16% fewer boys and 15% fewer girls had sex compared to their peers who did not take Get Real.”

A great message that Get Real is promoting is the fact that it is both the girls’ and boys’ responsibility to delay their sexual behavior. Most abstinence-only programs push the notion that sexual decisions, like consent, are solely the girl’s responsibility.

Get Real also focuses on healthy relationship skills, along highlighting parents as the primary sexual educators for their children.

When did the mindset that boys had cooties go away? Where did the days of not having to like anyone to be considered “cool”?

Get Real sounds like a good idea. I think it should be implemented across the country. In fact, sexual education in general should be taught across the country, but I like that Get Real is a program that teaches students to delay their sexual experiences.