By Adrienne Cytto, Staff Writer
@acytto

Back home, the leaves are changing colors and apple picking is in full swing. Fall is in Boston, but here in Sydney spring has finally arrived and the warm weather is here to stay. Now that it’s getting nice out, it’s the perfect opportunity to spend the weekends exploring the city and surrounding areas.

A local artist's tent at the Marrickville Festival./PHOTO BY Stephanie Penneti

A local artist’s tent at the Marrickville Festival./PHOTO BY Stephanie Penneti

One easy way to do this is by attending the many (free) festivals that are going on throughout the city. Today we started with the Marrickville Festival. Marrickville is a suburb about 25 minutes southwest of the city.  The festival hosted live music, a variety of ethnic food venues and craft stations along the main roads of the town.

It was a beautiful day and a great end to the weekend. It reminded me of being home in New Jersey, as every fall my town has a festival on the green with local venues setting up tents and performances around the city center. It’s nice being able to do something that feels a little bit like home, and a little bit like fall.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to checking out festivals in Newtown, Glebe and many more. I’m also really looking forward to seeing the Sculpture by the Sea exhibition by Bondi Beach. From the end of October to the beginning of November, the Bondi to Tamarama coastal walk turns into an outdoors museum, filled with sculptures from artists around the world.

Another great perk about spending the weekends exploring? I get to travel to festivals for free. With the transportation system here in Sydney, rides are free if you go over eight in one week. Basically, I pay for travel to and from school Monday through Thursday and can then spend Friday, Saturday and Sunday exploring the city for free. It’s a great way to take advantage of all the city has to offer!