By Elly Hu, Staff Writer
@xoellyy

It’s October and it’s officially fall. The sun sets faster, each day gets a little chillier and the craving for all things pumpkin spiced is ever present. Thanks, Starbucks!

Now that we’re almost six weeks in, the start of October may also (unfortunately) remind us of our first round of midterms and exams. If you’re looking for a change of environment, then this next location is perfect for your studying and caffeine fix.

Location 2: Wired Puppy (250 Newbury Street, Boston, Mass.)

The interior of Wired Puppy, a cafe dubbed "Best Coffee Shop" by Boston Magazine./PHOTO BY Elly Hu

The interior of Wired Puppy, a cafe dubbed “Best Coffee Shop” by Boston Magazine./PHOTO BY Elly Hu

Tucked away on a lower level store on the ever-quaint yet chic Newbury street, the Provincetown-originated Wired Puppy opened its second store in Boston in 2010. Soon, they were dubbed the “Best Coffee Shop” by Boston Magazine after only a couple months of opening its Newbury doors, solidifying their status as a unique and refined provider for coffee fans in Boston.

Upon my arrival at my first visit to the shop, the first thing I noticed was customer diversity. At 5 o’clock in the afternoon, I saw businessmen with little espresso cups among older-looking book readers on the patio outside. Once inside, I discovered the store’s wrap-around table in the back with some college students chatting, and one doing work on her laptop.

Although limited in working table space, the red brick walls, overhead spotlights and the smooth alternative music playing in the background made it a very cozy, yet serious environment — a great space for those who want some quiet to do a little work inside (free Wi-Fi was also a plus!). Making my way inside, I couldn’t hear a single car horn from rush hour and almost forgot I was in the city.

What I ordered: As an amateur coffee drinker, I was very overwhelmed by the dynamic menu of drinks offered at Wired Puppy. The menu provided customers a choice of so many different flavors and types of coffees and teas, proving how well-stocked the shop is in caffeinated beverages.

A maple spice chai latte from Wired Puppy./PHOTO BY Elly Hu

After a long self-deliberation, I mustered enough courage to ask the barista what she would recommend me for a drink. Friendly and cheerful, she helped me decide on a Maple Spice Chai Latte, after discovering we share a love of chai lattes this time of year. While it cost a little more than I want to spend on a latte (although, still the same as a grande Vanilla Latte at your local Starbucks), I thought it was completely worth it.

Not too sweet or milky and topped with a latte leaf, having my first seasonal flavored drink at Wired Puppy was the best decision I’ve made all week. I can hardly wait for my next opportunity to study there and have an excuse to try the gingerbread latte!